Blackpool - Sheffield charity ride - help need with route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gr33ny76

Regular
(yes, yes, yes, help *needed*)
--------------------------------------
Hello all,

I hope this is in the right part of the forum.

Some friends and I are doing a charity bike ride from Blackpool to Sheffield in a few weeks. We are doing it over a full weekend and will be allowing for a stop-over somewhere.

We will be basing most of our our route on the Blackpool-Manchester route, but we have questions about where to go in/around the Greater Manchester Area to get back to Sheffield.

The last part of our journey is nailed-on and the idea is to head for Chapel-en-le-frith, drop into Castleton, through Hope Valley, climb up through Hathersage and arrive at our final destination just off Ringinglow Road. Basically, we're saving all the climbing for the last day!

Could anyone with local knowledge of the Greater Manchester area suggest a route that breaks from the main trail and solves the journey to Chapel-en-le-frith?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
How are you with hills? The Brickworks at Pott Shrigley and down into Whaley Bridge is much nicer than the traffic on the A6 but is a proper climb.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The most direct route to Chapel from Blackpool takes you right through the middle of Manchester. Not great and you can skirt around Manchester either to the West (flat) or East (hilly). Assuming you choose West, there are a few ways to get to Chapel. You can do as Hacienda says. Alternatively, the flattest way is to Poynton, then Middlewood Way onto the A6. At Whaley Bridge the A6 becomes a fast dual carriageway so I suggest turning off into Whaley Bridge, then left onto the B5470 to Chapel. This way you only do 6 miles on the A6

Regarding skirting around W Manchester to Poynton, not really my area of expertise. Hopefully others can help

If you want to do the more challenging E side of Manchester PM me and I'll give you the best route

OP
OP
Gr33ny76

Gr33ny76

Regular
Thanks for your help so far.

It looks like we're taking the tougher, but scenic, Clockwise route.

Blackpool-Broughton-Todmorden-OL3 5UN campsite-Chapel-Hope Valley-Sheffield

Any local knowledge/hints/tips for this route?

Thanks

Greeny

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK. Your route to the Campsite at Denshaw is pretty much the route I used in 2012 to ride home after doing the M/cr-Blackpool ride. It isn't really flat but is pleasant enough and does the job, I enjoyed it! The sting in the tale is the climb out of Milnrow/Newhey to drop over to Denshaw for your campsite! I wouldn't have chosen there as a stop over but hey ho.

I recommend that you ignore Chapel on day 2 and go from Glossop, straight over the Snake Pass and drop into Bamford/Hathersage that way. The reason for this is that the roads from Glossop to Chapel then Castleton are no less busy or fast as the Snake but by going the Snake way you will save 3 miles and 350ft of climbing. The Snake Pass is not particularly steep, it's just constant. Going the Chapel way puts in a lot of ups and downs and some steep bits too (Chunal!).

Here's the route I suggest - GOOD LUCK!

Top Bottom