Blackpool to Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fullcycle

Hi All

I am by no means an expert cyclist but I am planning a ride from Birmingham to Blackpool, After consulting maps etc its looking like i will be taking a road route rather than a canal route.

Has anyone any pieces of advice on rides they have done within any possible routes or what accommodation forms they used etc

or even just any experiences along the way of doing anything similar

Would be great to hear from you

cheers FC

monkeylc

Über Member
That a bit of a trek?

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
NCN 5 looks like the obvious choice, then after Chester go and take NCN 568 and go up the east side of the Wirral using regional route 89.
Over the Mersey ferry and take NCN 62......Easy when you say it fast :smile:

Happy planning and hope the weathers good for the ride:thumbsup:

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

would be hoping to do it in 3 days maybe, thanks for that ive never used Sustrans before, id been using cycle streets previously, sustrans looks more in depth but easy to follow

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

For anyone who is interested i will be attempting this route tomorrow, have decided to do it in two days and will be stopping in Middlewich, carrying on up through Warrington Wigan and Preston. Will try and upload some pics along the way/afterweards

wish me luck :thumbsup:

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

Good luck, have fun and may the wind be at your rear !^_^

:smile: thanks, the forecast doesnt make to bad reading so hopefully itl be similar to what weve had today

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

I've just come back to this forum after a long break but stumbled across this thread which got me reminiscing the ride - for those who are interested I thought I'd post this pic to show me at the end of the successful journey (note the sunburnt arms ha ha) :smile:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1490788367406.jpg
    FB_IMG_1490788367406.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 54

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Nice post - and thread resurrection of the year so far! ^_^

Did you end up taking your proposed route or did you change it? Was it a pleasant and fulfilling experience (which turned you into a confirmed bike tourer) or one you vowed never to repeat? :smile:

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

Nice post - and thread resurrection of the year so far! ^_^

Did you end up taking your proposed route or did you change it? Was it a pleasant and fulfilling experience (which turned you into a confirmed bike tourer) or one you vowed never to repeat? :smile:

Ha ha thank you!

I loved every minute of it to be honest

I would of liked to have done alot more up until now but with moving between jobs and becoming a dad it has been hard to find the time, but now I'm settled down again I hope to have a lot more planned in the future :smile:

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

And yes took the original route I planned, got to middlewich in Cheshire and stayed there for the 1st night then made my way through Cheshire to warrington then entered Lancashire headed up and out of wigan then over towards the coast once I hit Preston :smile:

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Becoming a dad generally has the effect of delaying plans and schemes for a little while (sometimes for years) ... but it's an equally great adventure too. ^_^

Did you do a write-up of your mini tour anywhere?

Top Bottom