Blackwall tunnel - Toll

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
More money raking schemes lol good old government. I dare say with the amount of goods transported through that tunnel on a daily basis i must use it (2-3 times a week) i dare say that cost at some point will have to be passed on to the general public on the prices of fuel ,groceries etc everyday things really so in affect you will be paying for it weather you use the tunnel or not.

moralcrusader

My concern is that any charging for the Blackwall Tunnel will push a percentage of the traffic that doesn't want to pay onto the free crossings like Tower Bridge and the Rotherhithe Tunnel. The A2 through New Cross/Southwark and up Tower Bridge Road is bad enough already in the morning and the increase in traffic around the approaches to the Tunnel at Surrey Quays will be even worse. These are roads with regular accidents involving cyclists already. I can see this making the back roads in these areas busier as well as people try to find new "rat runs" in the morning/evening.

Potentially bad news for everyone.

StuartG

slower but further
I live in SE London and the Blackwall tunnel is my crossing of choice. And I think charging would be great. And is £2 enough?

This sort of sum is of little consequent in the shifting of essential freight. If, on the other hand, the cost is sufficient to deter some opportunistic local motoring use then those that really need it will speed more quickly through instead of being stuck in those horrible polluting queues. Why it might remove the need for another crossing.

Which would save the nation quite a few million ... and why should motorists have a free ride when cyclists and pedestrians are charged for crossing that part of the Thames?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
If you don't like congestion, and feel bad about having more spent on the roads per capita than the rest if the country, then go live somewhere else.

I know a few who have done just that...even consider it myself from time to time. You live in London to earn good money but spend so much of it getting to work, paying fantastic costs to eat in town, spend even more being taxed to move about the city anmd then £4 an hour to not move. I often wonder if life would be better if I just jacked it all in and became a postman up in Derbyshire or Cumbria. I'm pretty sure my weekends would provide a much better lifestyle.

Brains

Legendary Member
I also have a vested interest, I live within a mile of the Blackwall tunnel.

The truth is the additional crossing east of Blackwall is nearly 50 years overdue, it should have been completed in 1967, I have local maps with it marked on. A third crossing was supposed to be be a Woolwich and another at Abbey Wood, in all cases the road infrastructure has mostly been built years ago.

Al three new crossings are required, as well as two or three more further east, so a total of 5 to 8 new river crossings

TfL are not even talking about the other crossings, yet if they were all built one after the other to much the same design it would save a fortune, and if they then toll all the crossings as part of the congestion change so be it.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
I also have a vested interest, I live within a mile of the Blackwall tunnel.

The truth is the additional crossing east of Blackwall is nearly 50 years overdue, it should have been completed in 1967, I have local maps with it marked on. A third crossing was supposed to be be a Woolwich and another at Abbey Wood, in all cases the road infrastructure has mostly been built years ago.

Al three new crossings are required, as well as two or three more further east, so a total of 5 to 8 new river crossings

TfL are not even talking about the other crossings, yet if they were all built one after the other to much the same design it would save a fortune, and if they then toll all the crossings as part of the congestion change so be it.

And they would all fill up with traffic - so you'd find the rest of SE and E London even worse to travel through.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
And they would all fill up with traffic - so you'd find the rest of SE and E London even worse to travel through.

Any worse than the current situation with the A13 drivers heading for the QE2 bridge/Dartford tunnel driving through the whole of that part of East London?

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Any worse than the current situation with the A13 drivers heading for the QE2 bridge/Dartford tunnel driving through the whole of that part of East London?
Yes. It would generate a whole host of new journeys. New roads in London always do.

Brains

Legendary Member
A decade or two ago they were talking about one of the crossings being for trains, trams, busses, bikes and pedestrians only, and another being for freight and busses only

Top Bottom