Blade Runner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie

Errrr.....
That's me that is: I killed a nexus 8 today. (Shimano, not Tyrell Corp. admittedly.)

My hub had been sounding noisy when freewheeling for a while, so I took it to the LBS to get checked out. "Bearings gone" was the almost instant diagnosis, followed by an explanation on how futile a repair would be compared to buying a new hub. "How long have I got?" says I. "Can go on for years." says him. "Hmmm," thinks I, "not the way I flog it."

Sure enough, two weeks later I'm riding in the rain this morning and coming to the end of the commute the gears start making noise and freewheeling sounds nasty. "Need to check this tonight" thinks I. So after work I'm setting off, into 5th, "Chunk!". Pedals jam. 6th? Same. Great, 13 miles in 4th gear. :smile:

Set off, occasionally forgetting to leave 5th alone :evil:. After 7 miles I've freewheeled down the other side of the "bastard" hill, stop at the junction, go to set off and "Chunk!". Oh poo. Dismount, cross, lift back wheel and run pedals. Rear wheel runs, but sounding really bad now. Shifting down to 3rd for the next small hill and things really feel bad now. OK, no more shifting so we now have a rather graunchy 4th gear freewheel bike now. :biggrin:

3 miles to go and things are getting really ropey. Look down and Eek! :biggrin: the back wheel is visibly wobbly now! And there's some (well, more actually) resistance to pedalling. Press on, not daring to stop pedaling in case something else goes. We get to the road before ours and things are deteriorating rapidly now. Near our road I dismount and walk the rest of the way as the wobble has got to the point I'm worried about the wheel buckling.

So after tea I hoist the bike on the workstand. The drive side attached to the cassette has separated from the rest of the hub assembly! That'll explain the wobble then! Turning the pedals there's a delay whilst the rest of the hub catches up with the drive side. At the weekend I'll try to remove the hub and carry out the post-mortem, but in all honesty I'm not expecting much more than mangled cogs and bearings in a soupy emulsion.

To be fair, I'd worked out over tea my Subway 8 has done some 4500 miles, so it probably doesn't owe me much. All the same, I'm out of commission now, with no working bike and two "projects". :thumbsdown:
So if you've got to the end of this tale of woe and folly, spare a thought for me as you ride along enjoying the fine summer weather <ahem>.

Wolf04

Unlucky but you should have realised all Tyrell Corporation products have a fixed lifespan! I'd like to say I feel your pain but your post was so vivid I'm still laughing.
Pete

Andy Pandy

Archie - I have a spare nexus hub at home you could have cheap. I ride fixed at the moment so unlikely to use it. Drop me an email if you fancy it.

Andy

Carwash

Señor Member
Archie said:
..."How long have I got?" says I. ...

Well, that would really depend on your incept-date.

You could always begin again on the off-world colonies. I'm told it's a golden land of opportunity and adventure. :smile:

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Andy Pandy said:
Archie - I have a spare nexus hub at home you could have cheap. I ride fixed at the moment so unlikely to use it. Drop me an email if you fancy it.Andy

Star! That's what you are. Andy, you have a PM.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
RichK said:
Perhaps you should call your next bike Rachel?
I should clarify, it wasn't murder, it was retirement.

hygienic

So after this experience would you still consider another gear hub?

I am seriously considering internal gear hub for my next bike. I have not had a test ride yet, but like the idea of low maintenance.

Can't afford a rohloff, but the nexus or alfine seem reasonable for someone at my (beginners) level.

Any advice, experience, views?

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
hygienic said:
So after this experience would you still consider another gear hub?

Like I said, over 2 1/2 years I've put 4,500 miles in on mine, so I think that's fair enough. Hub gears are great for beginners as it frees you from a whole lot of maintenance that derailleur gears need, and the 8 speed provided plenty ratios to cope with bumpy routes. Weight may be an issue if you have steep ascents to deal with.

I'll try to fix the old bike up as a runaround, but I'm looking for a derailleur setup for my next bike as I'm confident I can deal with maintenance and repair issues now. For beginners there's a lot to recommend them IMO.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
mickle said:
Sounds like the axle failed. The usual cause of axle failure is misaligned drop-outs, have them checked before you wreck the next hub.
Hmmm, this is a worry as I was side-swiped a few weeks back: but to be fair, the hub started running rough way before that. Any advice on what I'm looking for?

It's an Alu frame, so if there's a problem it's for the skip, unfortunately. :wacko:

Top Bottom