Blast from the past.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Sometime before Christmas Mrs Colly discovered at the bottom of a box full of junk and old audio tape. Reel to reel.
The recording was of a school production of The Mikado. Kneller Girls High Scool. Twickenham.
Having no way to listen to the tape she took it to a local place to have it transfered to a disc. Tranfered to a disc and also iron out some of the scratchyness and improve the quality.
Lots of her old friends were in the production and Mrs Colly, having always been an outgoing sort, played Katisha. An elderly lady. (The Daughter in Law Elect)

The recording was done by the father of an old school friend who played Pish Tush (one of the Three Little Maids) just using a hand held mic.
While it is very scratchy even after being cleaned up and the spoken dialogue is difficult to make out it brings back so many memories.

1971. A bloody lifetime ago. Mrs Colly was 18, hot as they come, her voice was good, and she got a standing ovation after singing 'There is Beauty in the Bellow of the Blast' in a duet with KoKo

Just been listening to it in the van travelling down to my sons to do some baby sitting.^_^

Could so easily just been chucked out with all the other junk.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Sometime before Christmas Mrs Colly discovered at the bottom of a box full of junk and old audio tape. Reel to reel.
The recording was of a school production of The Mikado. Kneller Girls High Scool. Twickenham.
Having no way to listen to the tape she took it to a local place to have it transfered to a disc. Tranfered to a disc and also iron out some of the scratchyness and improve the quality.
Lots of her old friends were in the production and Mrs Colly, having always been an outgoing sort, played Katisha. An elderly lady. (The Daughter in Law Elect)

The recording was done by the father of an old school friend who played Pish Tush (one of the Three Little Maids) just using a hand held mic.
While it is very scratchy even after being cleaned up and the spoken dialogue is difficult to make out it brings back so many memories.

1971. A bloody lifetime ago. Mrs Colly was 18, hot as they come, her voice was good, and she got a standing ovation after singing 'There is Beauty in the Bellow of the Blast' in a duet with KoKo

Just been listening to it in the van travelling down to my sons to do some baby sitting.^_^

1971 you say.

I wasn't even swimming around my dad's underpants.

screenman

Legendary Member
My wife was at that school in 1971 she was 14 at the time, 3 years later she was married to me and we had our first son.

Mrs M

Guru
I was 5 in 1971 :ohmy:
Quite like the Mikado
Got a free trip to Millport for doing the scenery for Mikado in secondary school. My friend and I painted the scenery and were treated to a tandem ride around Millport for the day. First and only time on a tandem and great fun, better than a day at school :smile:

Venod

Eh up
In 1971 I was NNN Nineteen, I too have just discovered some old tape recordings, not as old as the ops, but a couple of cassette's of Alan Bennett's diaries 1980 - 1990, They kept me amused on this mornings turbo 20 miler.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was all 8 track in '71.

D

Deleted member 1258

In 1971 I was 20, not long left the navy and living in a bedsit, not a good time in my life:sad:. Its usually great when stuff like that resurfaces, a few years ago I got given a big boxfull of old photo's, very old, some dating to the 1930's most 1950's 1960's. I had great fun one winter by scanning them all into the computer and trying to work out who were in them.

screenman

Legendary Member

The school is now houses.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
My aunt died a few years ago. She had never married and in her house was a picture of a bulldog which the family had in the 1930/40s. I remember my dad saying how he didn't like the dog as you could hear it coming as it panted all the time.
I was all for throwing it out, but my sister liked the frame so she took it. A few days later she phoned me up very excited as when she took the picture of the dog out, behind it was a photo of the squadron my dad was in in the war (he was a Spitfire pilot) taken the 7th of June 1942. He was 21 and surprisingly looks extremely happy. So I suppose the moral is, only throw something when you've checked it thoroughly. I have the photo now and look at it everyday with a huge sense of relief.

I was 5 in 1971 :ohmy:
Quite like the Mikado
Got a free trip to Millport for doing the scenery for Mikado in secondary school. My friend and I painted the scenery and were treated to a tandem ride around Millport for the day. First and only time on a tandem and great fun, better than a day at school :smile:
Used to go to Millport on holiday when I was young. Must go back.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

I was in the orchestra when we did the Mikado at school. Got a very surprising, and even smokier, kiss from the leading lassie during the party after the final night. Never saw her again in my life though.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
As I’ve been reading this, I’ve not been hearing Gilbert and Sullivan playing in the stereo of my mind, but rather David Bowie,

“It's a God-awful small affair
To the girl with the mousy hair
But her mummy is yelling no
And her daddy has told her to go...”

It accompanied a good TV show though.

Top Bottom