Blasted chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cockney Scot

After having the bike laid up in the shed for over 5 years ( possibly longer) I got it back out in february this year and have to admit I wish I had done it earlier. Love cycling and do begtween 100 and 150 miles per weekend. Initialy it was rather painfull but slowly built up the miles and fitness.
Anyway it hasnt been cheap getting the bike back on the road and up to scrach but slowly I have got it back to shape.
Initialy I noticed that the gears seemed to have a mind of their own and would change up and down (under pressure), took it to a local bike shop who changed the cabbles and al was well for a few months.
Lately though I have felt some grinding via the peddales and it has got progresively worse to the point today when having a cycle that the gears seemed to have a mind of their own.
Stopped of at a bike shop on my way back (used it before) as the problem was getting worse by the mile and was diagnosed as a worn chain and rear cogs. Fortunatley they werent to busy and were able to replace both for £43, bike back to perfect again and an enjoyable ride home for the final 15 miles.
Question is it normal to have to have the rear cogs replaced when the chain is worn? Bike is over 10 years old and used mainly on canal tow paths. I have now got a chain cleaning kit and a lubricant.
I was using a Motorcycle chain lubricant before which the cycle shop said was to heavy and was collecting all the grit from the towpath and wearing both the cahin and cogs. Luckily the the cogs on the pedals were OK.

Short answer - yes!

The teeth of the cog adopt the profile created by a chain that stretches over time. Replacing one without t'other will cause a mismatch in the two components and the chain will 'climb' the cog and slip...
Chains can be replaced without replacing the cassette if the 'stretch' of the chain is moderate. A chain checker - such as the Park tools one can help you keep an eye on things. Another way is to use two, maybe three chains and rotate them - not the most economical way but extends life.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Learn how to sort stuff yourself..... really...worth doing. Takes a long time to get the tools....but buy them when you need them....

I don't get the theory behind the three chain rotation thing. Either a chain is within acceptable limits or it isn't.

Use a new chain until it reaches the end of its useful life then bin it (ie before it becomes so worn that it munches the cassette sprockets). Repeat.

gbb

Legendary Member
mickle said:
I don't get the theory behind the three chain rotation thing. Either a chain is within acceptable limits or it isn't.

Use a new chain until it reaches the end of its useful life then bin it (ie before it becomes so worn that it munches the cassette sprockets). Repeat.

Even if you replace a chain FAR sooner than you need to, the cassette is still wearing imperceptably and always will.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
One way to extend the life of your chain is to buy 3 bikes. By using all of them equally, the wear on any one of them will be about a third of what it was. Mind you, the rubber will still perish...

Best buy 4, and keep the spare vacuum packed :biggrin:

Top Bottom