Blazing Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Sorry for the cheesy title guys...need your advice
icon_biggrin.gif

Have spent the evening drinking rioja and doing some research into vintage/retro saddles for my next project, a 1984 Dawes Imperial.

Have discovered that both San Marco and Selle Italia have re-introduced their classic saddles from the 80's, the one's that are grabbing my attention are the Concor, the Rolls and the Regal from San Marco also the Turbo from Selle Italia.

8686.jpg bike_seats_-_san_marco_rolls_white_1_1.png regal.jpg sanmarco_concor2.jpg

The question is..

a, Which of these are Period Correct for a top of the range factory built Road Bike from the mid 80's?
b, Which is most comfortable?
c, Which will look best on a Hand Built Dawes Frame with upgraded Shimano 600 EX (6207 Series) Groupset?

PS. Frame will be restored to original factory colour scheme.....Burgundy Enamel, White and Gold Livery and Lug Lining, Polished Alloy Components, White and Silver Finishing Kit.

Your thoughts and advice please Guys.

OldCanal

icon_biggrin.gif

Have spent the evening drinking rioja and doing some research into vintage/retro saddles for my next project, a 1984 Dawes Imperial.

Have discovered that both San Marco and Selle Italia have re-introduced their classic saddles from the 80's, the one's that are grabbing my attention are the Concor, the Rolls and the Regal from San Marco also the Turbo from Selle Italia.

View attachment 35432 View attachment 35433 View attachment 35434 View attachment 35435

The question is..

a, Which of these are Period Correct for a top of the range factory built Road Bike from the mid 80's?
c, Which will look best on a Hand Built Dawes Frame with upgraded Shimano 600 EX (6207 Series) Groupset?

PS. Frame will be restored to original factory colour scheme.....Burgundy Enamel, White and Gold Livery and Lug Lining, Polished Alloy Components, White and Silver Finishing Kit.

Hi, fwiw I treated myself to a Raleigh Competition in 1981 at the same time as buying my son his first 'real' bike, a Raleigh Winner, for his 10th birthday. Just about t-o-r at £250 then and they spec'd it accordingly, including a Selle San Marco Rolls. The Rolls was a joy to ride (for me anyway) and second only to my most comfortable saddle ever, a Brooks B15, broken in over 9 months in 1958. Besides being supremely comfortable, the Rolls has that certain 'je ne sais quoi' that only comes with the naturally elegant and most pleasing to the eye. For me it's the only choice for a top retro build of the period.

Do you intend to use the 600EX "Arabesque" range? Again, in my view 'the' choice for such a build. Reason I ask is that I have a brand new Arabesque rear mech that was never mounted. It glitters! Haven't yet decided whether to use it myself for my current 'Hobbs' rebuild or to go with another fantastic condition Gran Sport. Depending on this decision and your schedule, it could be available.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think a photo of the frame would help. The white saddle may match but personally, I don't like white saddles.

Steve

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

@ Steve, here's a pic from the 84 brochure

Dawes Imperial 1984 Pics - Copy.jpg

@ Old Canal, I'm not 100% sure mine is an 84, it may be an 85 model, so i'm going with a 600 EX 6207 series groupset. Thanks for the offer though :-)

icon_biggrin.gif

View attachment 35432 View attachment 35433 View attachment 35434 View attachment 35435

The question is..

I would say the any of the white would look good but saddles are a very personal choice and what fits me may not fit you.

I have a turbo and a selle marco as shown in your images and find the turbo more comfortable, but it is broken in due to age.

if youi have experience of any of the saddles you show and they work, then stick with them.

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

i asked that question on Retrobike

Lol, and i'll trot out the same answer.....Brooks make gorgeous saddles of the highest quality and i'm fitting a B17 narrow to my current project (Raleigh Randonneur) but i'm looking for something a bit more racey for the Dawes.

@ Raleighnut....have seen the Brooks Limited Editions in White and searched google extensively.........both seem to be out of stock...and out of my price range too :cry:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yeah they are a bit pricey,mind you I am a bit biased as 5 of my bikes have them fitted.
The other 4 don't as they are mainly used when its hissing it down and Ive got to chain one up outside for several hours.

Top Bottom