Bleh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Dayvo said:
in Exeter it is crap!
Don't let Chuffy see this post - that's fighting talk to him :biggrin:
He won't drink tea anywhere other than round these parts 'cos it doesn't taste right :angry:

Oh, and the water in Prague was acceptable as well. He's so cosmopolitan :laugh:

The water round Halifax has a very distinctive taste, I like it!

Chris James

Über Member
I lived for 9 years in Weston-super-Mare and 8 years in Yorkshire so feel qualified to answer this ...

Bristol water is awful. Full of limescale, scum on tea etc.

Yorskhire Water (or at least the Pennine stuff, not sure what you get in York) is amongst the finest in country. Clear, crisp tasting. Great for brewing tea and beer (hence the boat loads of independednt brewers nestling in the foothills of the Pennines).

Perhpas you have a cold Mickle and have lost your taste buds momentarily?

Night Train

Maker of Things
Tea is blended to suit the local water to meet the required taste for that brand. If you like a brand of tea then buy the same brand locally, where ever you are, and it will taste fine. Take your own with you and it will probably taste rubbish unless you also take the water with you too.

Chris James

Über Member
I have heard that before but is that really true Night Train? How many different water types are there throughout the country? How many different blends are required? How complicated does that make the supply chain?

Does the Tesco articulated lorry setting out from it's hub have several different teas on board, careful not to confuse which one gets dropped where? This would also drive up the cost substantially.

Finally why does Yorkshire tea (for example) have a hard water variety if normla Yorkshire tea tea is blended differently for hard water areas anyway?

BTW I certainly agree that some teas taste better in some areas that others. I just think the tea is probably the same, its just that people grow to like different teas in different areas as they are the ones that taste better in their area.

For example, Coop 99 tea states that 'At the time the CWS blended and packaged tea to order, so each region of the country had its own blend of tea to suit the local water. Each blend was numbered on the blender's chart and 99 just happened to be Prescription Tea. From then on Prescription became known as Co-op 99 and once in the hands of the marketing man, Co-op 99 grew in stature to become a top selling brand.'

which says that Coop 99 refers to the mix, and implies that at least the Coop no longer mix different teas for different locations.

http://www.99tea.co.uk/99tea-story.htm

GrahamG

Guru
I'm getting used to Bristol water - it's not as bad as I remember it years ago from visiting my granny - but Birmingham (Severn Trent sourced from Elan valley) has by far the best water. Thought it was fine in York when I lived there.

mondobongo

Über Member
Have drank filtered water for years much nicer.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Chris James said:
I have heard that before but is that really true Night Train? How many different water types are there throughout the country? How many different blends are required? How complicated does that make the supply chain?
I think it is still true otherwise tea will just taste crap everywhere. I know it tastes fine when I am on holiday and book into a proper hotel but if I am self catering then it doesn't as I take my own.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Night Train said:
I think it is still true otherwise tea will just taste crap everywhere. I know it tastes fine when I am on holiday and book into a proper hotel but if I am self catering then it doesn't as I take my own.

Shocked at you mate. Tea doesn't taste crap anywhere ever - except in France, and that's because they don't understand tea.
Lukewarm water + peach caramel teabag = :?:

Top Bottom