Bloke in the bike shop reckons chains last 3000 miles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
About 1500 for me per chain.

I think a lot may depend on the area you live in. My routes are through countryside where the dirt that washes onto the roads is from arable fields of heavy boulder clay. On wet days, that means the chain is being sprayed with water containing a fine grinding paste of colloidal clay particles which easily get into the chain links and pins, wearing them down. A coarser sandy soil may appear to be more gritty and abrasive but the particle sizes are larger and not as effective at getting into bearing contact areas.

This is only an educated guess on my part, though.

yello

I use a Park Tool chain checker and I reckon I get around 6000km out of a KMC 10sp chain. I ride all weathers, on all manner of manky roads, and don't practice religious chain maintenance (I oil & wipe). I usually replace the cassette with each chain change (because it's necessary to get clean shifting).

Maybe I could change the chain more regularly and that'd maybe extend the cassette life but it seems 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

gbb

Legendary Member
What cassettes are you running IMLE I think that might be the place to gain. Ive had 3 chains out of Veloce and SRAM cassettes but never from a Shimano.
I only have 8 speed Shimano on my winter commuter, the rest of my stuff i'm quoting is, or was Campag. Mostly Veloce or Miche.

D

Deleted member 1258

I get 12 months, around 3000 miles, from the chain on my fixed, I normally change the ring and cog every 2 years, I also change the chain on my geared bike, SRAM 10 speed, every12 months, around 2000 miles, I've just put a 3rd chain on but haven't had to change the cassette or rings yet..

endoman

With good chain maintenance and replacement every 2000 miles a cassette and set of rings will last a decade.

Done around 12000 miles on my bike. 2 wheelsets plus a turbo wheel. Probably gone through half a dozen chains but cassettes are nowhere near needing changing. It's my only bike so used in all weathers, but chain is well looked after, cleaned and replaced when indicator tells me so. Never gets mucky for more than one ride.

I get 12 months, around 3000 miles, from the chain on my fixed, I normally change the ring and cog every 2 years, I also change the chain on my geared bike, SRAM 10 speed, every12 months, around 2000 miles, I've just put a 3rd chain on but haven't had to change the cassette or rings yet..
Mine (Fixie chain) has just passed 3000 miles looks like I could be needing a new one.

tyred

Legendary Member
Whole bikes need replacing at sometime :thumbsup:

When, I have bikes made in the 1930s?

Top Bottom