blood donors...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
um... i thought you weren't supposed to exercise for 24 hours after????? that's what i was told anyway. it might be "new" advice but i suppose that could be because some people faint after. They do take quite a lot. :rolleyes:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've heard that too (no strenuous exercise, 24 hours). I choose to ignore it because (1) I always feel fine after (2) Cycling home isn't necessarily strenuous (3) I've got to get home somehow and I sure as hell won't be taking the bus (4) I really do eat a lot of biscuits after.

I'm trying something new this time and going to a session not far from home (missed the last one at work). So I'll walk.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
buggi said:
um... i thought you weren't supposed to exercise for 24 hours after????? that's what i was told anyway. it might be "new" advice but i suppose that could be because some people faint after. They do take quite a lot. :rolleyes:

A whole armful, I do believe. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Well, cycling back was fine...I spoke to the staff there who told me to drink plenty of water before riding home and to take it easy.
Apparently, cold drinks are more readily absorbed into the body than hot drinks. I didn't know that...

bonj2

buggi said:

it's probably just so they don't get sued.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
Well, cycling back was fine...I spoke to the staff there who told me to drink plenty of water before riding home and to take it easy.
Apparently, cold drinks are more readily absorbed into the body than hot drinks. I didn't know that...

And tepid (body temperature) drinks best of all, I think I've been told. So if you're really thirsty on a hot day, ambient temperature water is better than chilled in terms of hydration (although psychologically, we think chilled is more refreshing...)

But I digress. I've never had to go more than a mile home after donating, so I can't say I've ever suffered much. I just use it as an excuse for a really big takeaway meal...:rolleyes:

Christopher

Über Member
I think you're alright, Pinky

http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/flash_questions.html

and there's a link to people who can't give blood down on the lower left-hand side of the page. I didn't see any mention of asthma sufferers being banned.

cheers
Christopher

Cab

Remember the old pictures they had in blood donating places back in the early nineties? Stick figures of people who represented people who having sex with would preclude you from giving blood. I never did quite work out why having a moustache was so dangerous...

Thanks for that, will pass the message on, might just ring them to double check...:biggrin:

There is a thread on giving blood on another forum I'm on, I never knew hospitals actually had to BUY the blood that is donated - and apparently it is really expensive because of all the tests they run on it. I was quite shocked by this, I thought with the nhs running the blood donation service, they would provide their hospitals with it rather than charge!!! Seems a bit unfair considering the donors give it for free, although I do appreciate that the testing will cost quite a lot of money...:evil:

noggin

Hmmmm

on pint number 84 (I think)

always go to the session on my way home from work

" NO strenuous excercise!"

Problem is that blood transfusion unit is at the bottom of hill that goes through hospital- about 8% up the way - I always take it easy

At least they've stopped asking me if I need a car-park voucher

User said:
No... because the 'internal market' is simply a money-moving exercise dreamt up by bored accountants in the Treasury to provide extra jobs for their fellow accountants in the NHS.

Unfortunately that's not entirely true. Those are real budgets and real resource allocation decisions being made. It is correct that many more accountants and administrators have had to be employed because of it though.

Top Bottom