Blood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Was sent for by the Practise Nurse today.Wanted to check my blood viscocity.What is that all about? it is the second test in six weeks.Was in a hurry to get out on the bike so didn't bother to ask.Can anyone offer advice?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
IIRC there are many reasons why they test bloody viscosity e.g. it might be for inflamation and arthritis like my dad has or infections. There are many other things though.

I'd see a proper nurse if possible, not just a practice one!

I don't know too much about it, but my mother had a viscosity test on her blood; it was 'too' thick and straining the heart, which had to pump harder to get the blood round.
She has been on worphorine (blood-thinning medication) for several years and manages with no problems.
You should be OK, esp. if you're being checked at the hospital.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Dayvo said:

I don't know too much about it, but my mother had a viscosity test on her blood; it was 'too' thick and straining the heart, which had to pump harder to get the blood round.
She has been on worphorine (blood-thinning medication) for several years and manages with no problems.

Yes, I know someone in a similar situation who had a stroke at a young age for similar reasons :tongue:. It's a generalised test Postman, I'm sure you'll be fine :biggrin:.

Wolf04

Dayvo said:

Warfarin is used as a blood thinning agent and is commonly used in stroke patients. It's blood thinning effect makes it quite an effective rat poison. Many reasons for a viscosity test, don't worry and wait for the results and ask why!

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Not actually bothered but was curious and i do have slight Osteoarthritis and secondary arthritis in both knees.Cycling does me good.But i don't do any other sports as sudden movements which affect the knee running ,football that sort of stuff makes the knees swell and is very painful.Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom