1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bloody Awful

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by John the Monkey, 28 Nov 2007.

1. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Worst commute for a while today - not in a horrifyingly scary sort of a way but a "My word, is everyone particularly stupid/unobservant/careless today?" sort of a way.

I'm not sure why it is, but the absolute sh*****g down rain seems to bring out the worst in the drivers on my home stretch - close overtakes, rushing to beat you through pinch points, not allowing you out past parked cars... You would think that the poor conditions would engender a bit more care in driving, but it invariably seems to do the opposite, with few of the poor dears (apparently) able to see beyond the ends of their bonnets, and caring little about what sits outside their cosy vehicles, so long as they can rush hell for leather to the next queue of traffic.

Oh, and my feet got REALLY wet. I hate that.

Ah well, a small dry sherry or two once home, and tomorrow is another day...

2. col

col Veteran

Mmmm sounds like a day at the office for me;):biggrin:

3. Yeah bring on the rain.It's better than snow.:biggrin:

4. With rain there always seems to be more cars/ congestion but with a certain level of snow cars are all stuck in their drives and the roads are quiet. So snow can be good sometimes :biggrin:.

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Took it easy last night, just didn't push it as visibility was crap. Just watched out for the loons. It can be very difficult seeing out of a car in weather like that and bikes can get lost in all the reflected glare.

Trick with dry feet.....neoprene overshoes with a plastic bag underneath - works a treat. I cut the bottom corners off a bag so the plastic just covers the toe and the top of the shoe leacing space for the cleats. The Aldi waterproofs are still doing the job...

6. Oooooops it rained for 45 minutes on my commute so I got soaked and my stuff was nice and wet for the commute back.:biggrin:

7. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

John I had a ride home like that on Tuesday. I'm not normally one for complaining at the standard of driving in my area but Tuesday night was open season. On two separate occassions I anticipated that people wouldn't spot me if I carried on at same pace and so slowed down, and on both occasions I'm 99% sure I'd have been squished if I hadn't acted.

No such probs today on way in, so hoping for more of that on way home. For all of us actually! Sherries sounds like a good shout though.

8. It was good commuting weather tonight here and the road were nearly empty and those there were behaving themselves, except bloke in dark clothing without lights but that's his problem :biggrin:.

9. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Na snow is much more fun:evil:

10. rustychisel

rustychisel Well-Known Member

rain... what's that then?

11. Not really I dont want to injure myself.

12. dondare

dondare Über Member

I don't mind the rain itself, but I also notice that it brings out the worst in bad drivers.

13. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

Was it raining last weekend Timeo?:biggrin::evil::biggrin:

14. Dona Ferentes

Dona Ferentes New Member

Can't remember, but it has been raining a lot this week.