Bloody Students grrr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It is a of of money, and I'm glad I'm in my final year. I'm not sure I would attend Uni if the fees were 9k when I started. But you mention 'contact time', which is only one aspect of university. The substantial resources provided by means of libraries, online services etc makes the current fee quite reasonable.

I could be a personal architectural tutor for £40 an hour...

My 2 children would freak out at £9000 a year fees. They were worried enough about £3000 a year.... and we paid them [not quite worked that one out yet].

Jezston

Über Member
Anyway, this 9k would be the top...UNIs would charge a market rate so courses could be a lot less.
Even the fairly rubbish degree courses are oversubscribed. Universities will all charge full whack because they can.

Trumpettom001

I really couldn't believe it when I saw that. Did they honestly think they were going to achieve anything? I feel ashamed to be a student - images of hoodies kicking down windows - chucking a fire extinguisher off of a roof... Thiese are the images that will stick in many peoples minds - a popular phrase on here "all tarred with the same brush"..... It's just a slightly more violent version of the pointless "car driver vs cyclist" debate. Ok I know that this is only a tiny minority of the student population, but even so - I'd rather we were all seen as lazy do-nothings, rather than violent yobs. Grrrr!

pepecat

As others have said on here, the 9k fees don't only pay for teaching, they pay for the library and information services (which are pretty expensive), lighting / heating etc of buildings, subsidised sports and coaching in many unis, the guild of students and student societies, the chaplaincy, the counselling and careers services, etc, etc ,etc.... all things which contribute to students' experience of university.

Students generally complain about the few contact hours at university, often thinking that more hours spent with staff equals a better course. Part of the university experience is about self learning - the lecturers tell you what to read, and give you the skills you need to get a good degree, and, of course, some of the knowledge you need for that, but the rest is up to you. Every lecturer with a PhD is an expert in their particular field; the tuition fees give you access to these experts who tell you what 'standard' (in terms of a degree) your work is. Just cos you pay fees, it will not automatically entitle you to a 2:1.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Ah the old 'spoon feeding' line from Arts and Social Science students/lecturers. Always brings a smile to my face :smile:. As for libraries, it's usually the subjects that are treated well that appreciate these facilities and those that are treated badly that complain.

pepecat

'Spoon feeding' line? Students do go to lectures and seminars, but for arts and social sciences, a lot of reading has to be done. Should lecturers read the books for the students?
And as for libraries, I would have thought that unis have to treat all subjects equally, but of course if more students from some courses than others use the library, there may well end up being more books from one subject in the library than another.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 1241357"]
Thank goodness. Thought students had all been pasteurised. If you can't be revolting when you're a student...
[/quote]

Hear hear!:thumbsup:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The Kid saw her (completely non-political) boyfriend misbehaving on the telly, rang him up and gave him a right earful!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
'Spoon feeding' line? Students do go to lectures and seminars, but for arts and social sciences, a lot of reading has to be done. Should lecturers read the books for the students?
And as for libraries, I would have thought that unis have to treat all subjects equally, but of course if more students from some courses than others use the library, there may well end up being more books from one subject in the library than another.

They're just silly platitudes to me I'm afraid, spoiling a perfectly good thread in the café (and yes, I have read your contributions on the topic before). I think it's possible to take things too seriously and we're all guilty of that sometimes :biggrin:.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I hadn't thought about the hourly rate before, but it is horrendous. Architecture - six hours a week at most, for 30 weeks of the year at most, gives an hourly rate of £50.

Can't see what the fuss is about - none of them will get jobs because there aren't any so they won't have to pay the loan back.

The biggest problem they'll have is dealing with the student loans company. There'll be a mimimum wage a graduate earns when they have to start paying back the loan, maybe £21k? I had this when I graduated pre-fees in 1998. The student loans company was useless. It took me ages to defer every year despite earning far less than the minimum amount required to have to start repayments, half the amount when I first started working straight after graduating. I was living away from family and had to pay rent etc. Every year I was told my referal had been refused as I didn't meet the criteria but was never given specifics about which aspect I failed to meet. My employer even tried to get involved one year after sending three letters stating my income with all the information they required. They kept using the wrong address, selecting from a list of previous addresses I had had when renting or even my parents address when I was still a student which changed not long after I graduated. Rant over :angry:

Top Bottom