Blue Card system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfox

As a neighbourhood watch coordinator, my wife received this from the police yesterday. I hadn't heard of it, does it work?

This is Ringmaster 04/008 from the Watch office on Wednesday 2 April.

To combat the sale of stolen bikes Wycombe traders are now adopting The Blue Card system which has proved successful in the Oxford area. Every second-hand cycle dealer in Wycombe, Marlow and Princes Risborough has signed up to take part in the scheme which works by police issuing a stamped, blue card to legitimate bike owners so they are free to sell the bike on. A trader in the Wycombe area will no longer buy a second-hand bike without this proof of ownership. Anyone applying for a blue card will need to produce proof of their identity. To help track your bike if it is stolen it is a good idea to keep a note of the make, model and serial number, any distinguishing features and ideally take a photograph of it.

ChrisKH

Guru
Sounds like a good idea. Our local Bobbies were giving out stickers at the station ('Coded bike') and a pen coder to use, which is great, but more of a quick fix and doesn't address the main issue of bikes being stolen and handled. This does.

Except that bikes tend not to get sold on to other traders, but to geezers down the pub.

Coded Bike initiatives are much better - the sticker can suggest anything - smart water, tracking devices, instant 20,000 volt electrocution.

And you have all written down all the details of your bikes, haven't you? Of course you have.

discplayer

A police and council scheme here is not only coding the frame and issuing a sticker but also photographing the bike and entering the bike's and owner's details on a database.

I did ask them if the stickers made any difference, they said it would deter buyers. However, as said, if they're just sold to the bloke down the pub he won't care.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Whilst in a LBS, another customer came in and was asking whether the shop would buy his nice sounding bike. The shop said he would look at it, BUT only if he brought it in with proof of purchase. I thought that sounded like a good idea.

Top Bottom