Bluetooth Cadence Sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
I've been riding on Zwift for about 16 months using an Ant+ set-up and had no significant problems. I've been given a spare smart trainer and would like to set it up at work so that I can use it in my lunch break.

My plan is to use my iPad pro and so I will need Bluetooth, rather than Ant+ sensors. I've already got a HRM but I'm looking for a cheap reliable cadence sensor. I was all set to buy the Polar Cadence Sensor but then I read the reviews! Apparently you can't change the batteries in them as they are sealed units??

Can anyone confirm this is the case (if so I definitely won't be buying one) and if it is, suggest a good alternative that doesn't have this blatant design flaw?

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Go for the Wahoo cadence sensor both ant+ and ble about the same price probably.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
Just a thought, and moving the goal posts a little - does anyone use a sensor that can use both Ant+ and Bluetooth? That way I could use the same sensor for either set-up and when I'm out in the real world (linked to my Edge).

CXRAndy

Guru
I have a magnet less wahoo cadence which is ant and Bluetooth. You can get version which are with a pickup magnet

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
Hi, I was looking at the Wahoo Cadence but some of the reviews of it are pretty damning, apparently it's not accurate and gives spurious readings? How are you getting on with yours? (I realise that most people only post reviews to give negative feedback and so they're not always the most accurate assessments).

Ideally, I'd like a sensor that sits on the bike frame with a small magnet on the pedal (like my old Garmin sensor) that transmits in both Bluetooth and Ant+

So, just the moon on a stick please :smile:

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi, I was looking at the Wahoo Cadence but some of the reviews of it are pretty damning, apparently it's not accurate and gives spurious readings? How are you getting on with yours? (I realise that most people only post reviews to give negative feedback and so they're not always the most accurate assessments).

Ideally, I'd like a sensor that sits on the bike frame with a small magnet on the pedal (like my old Garmin sensor) that transmits in both Bluetooth and Ant+

So, just the moon on a stick please :smile:

It was very erratic at first, but after firmware update and following Wahoo's advice to mount on crank arm as close as possible to bottom bracket, it has been much better. There isnt much difference in price with a Garmin speed/cadence with magnets

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
wahoo for me. Accurate. Reliable.
which one?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just sold my turbo wishi hadnt but it was one of those months, old car loan + new car loan start the same month ( long story but old car was about to go phoom ) and final payment on holiday = if it aint nailed down or used atm .

si_c

Guru
I picked up a ble and ant+ speed and cadence sensor from Amazon for under £20 seems reliable enough for the turbo, I've had a ble sensor before which failed as it wasn't properly weather sealed.

si_c

Guru
I picked up a ble and ant+ speed and cadence sensor from Amazon for under £20 seems reliable enough for the turbo, I've had a cheap ble sensor before which failed as it wasn't properly weather sealed.

13 rider

Guru
I've been riding on Zwift for about 16 months using an Ant+ set-up and had no significant problems. I've been given a spare smart trainer and would like to set it up at work so that I can use it in my lunch break.

My plan is to use my iPad pro and so I will need Bluetooth, rather than Ant+ sensors. I've already got a HRM but I'm looking for a cheap reliable cadence sensor. I was all set to buy the Polar Cadence Sensor but then I read the reviews! Apparently you can't change the batteries in them as they are sealed units??

Can anyone confirm this is the case (if so I definitely won't be buying one) and if it is, suggest a good alternative that doesn't have this blatant design flaw?
I have a spare wahoo cadence sensor that I thought was faulty but the issue appears to have been me . So I got a new one on warrentry . It's yours if you want it free. I'm in Cornwall for 2 weeks so you will have to wait .PM me if you want

Top Bottom