Blurred lines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Its just been on the radio that the writers of blurred lines have to pay the Marvin Gaye estate damages of 5 million for stealing the song .
I cant think what Marvin Gaye song is like it . Anyone care to enlighten me ?

KneesUp

Guru
It's a track I haven't heard before - they just played them side by side on 6music - they're very similar.

Thicke and the co-writer filed pre-emptive litigation against the Gaye estate in case they said the songs were the same apparently. Classy. Still, they lost, so that's good.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Mmm, they argued that it was played in a different key...which it is...so musically, it's completely different...but it sounds the same...you can do the same with a kappo if you're a lazy guitarist or you can just tune to a different key or fiddle around with your fretboard - it's uber fun :smile: Felt more sorry for The Verve with Bittersweet Symphony TBH. This was always very blatant.

Having teenage daughters I feel it is my duty to run down present music. When the Thicke track came on I did immediately think of the Marvin Gaye track. My sister had it.

The tune follows but also the whole structure of the song also is a rip off of the original. Even the party atmosphere of the song is stolen.

Pleased Thicke lost. He just seems to be about the most annoying celeb since Justin Beber.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
he was channelling MG when he was writing it but didn't copy
'channelling' - that's priceless! What, and the judge didn't buy it? Well I never.

Cyclist33

It's a track I haven't heard before - they just played them side by side on 6music - they're very similar.

Thicke and the co-writer filed pre-emptive litigation against the Gaye estate in case they said the songs were the same apparently. Classy. Still, they lost, so that's good.

So, er, they knew they were ripping off the song before they even started!

Top Bottom