BMC Citystreamer hybrid for pulling a baby around in.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

a_nic_an

Or perhaps a Trek fx or Charge Grater?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That would be fine for pulling a trailer.
For what it's worth I tow a kids trailer using a steel road bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Both types have advantages and disadvantages, best to do some reading around and take advantage of Evans flexible test ride provision :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The BMC range have a name for quality so should be a reliable well made bike. You could go for something rather cheaper which would still do the job for you. Any of the bikes mentioned would be equally serviceable. Don't worry about hub/derailleur gears debate, either would be fine, the BMC has the latter so go with that, if it appeals. IMO you won't be disappointed with any one of these. Just make sure you get the correct size for you, Evans are known to give good advice.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/citystreamer-cs01-xt-2012-hybrid-bike-ec031097
Just about to be a new dad and am keen to get the little one out in a trailer. I am looking for something upright, comfortable and able to pull. Would you buy this bike?

You are buying what the Europeans call a trekking bike.

Rose make some nice ones, and there's lots of choice because they are so popular.

This one is about the same price as the BMC:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-black-creek-2-trekking-men-2014/aid:689143

Towing obviously means a need for low gears unless you are Wiggo.

Generally, a derailleur will give you lower gears than a hub.

OP
OP
A

a_nic_an

Thanks all for the advice.
The cycle to work scheme doesn't open until march at the earliest so I'm going to stick with the heavy felt mountain bike with big apple tyres that I have already, it is a bit of a monster to heave uphill but is comfy and has very low gearing so gets me there in the end and I assume that once I have a little one on board I won't be in too much of a rush. As a few of you have said, it's not an expensive super bike that I really need, just something that hardy and it is that.
I've had it for so long that a few more months wont hurt before replacing it. When I do get the chance though I'm going to go for the Roadrat because I think that I will get a lot of enjoyment out of it but I will get a few of the added extras that will make it a bit of a trekker. I will probably get the most enjoyment from that one, it seems to fit my requirements well and has great reviews everywhere.
Thanks for all the help

Grendel

Veteran
I picked up a Citystreamer back in November on the cycle to work scheme. It was reduced to £1000 at the time, and after the tax is factored in I'll pay about £7-800.
Fantastic bike.

Top Bottom