Bmx make help ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yamyamsteve

Regular
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG
I could do with some help from any bmx gurus out there in identifying a recent bmx buy .. I have been told it's not a mongoose and it's just the decals that have been put on by someone at some point .. brake levers are GT as are the grips and handlebar bracket has mongoose on .. could well just be a mish mash of parts but would be interested in knowing the frame make if anyone can help? Frame number is 120kk-0011

Attachments

• IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 65

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I know little about BMXs despite having a couple but reckon it is in all likelihood a Mongoose. That stem looks like it belongs, quite likely the levers have been changed as they are items that can break.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
BSO. Not a brand I'm afraid but an acronym of Bicycle Shaped Object. Your purchase looks to be made with basic componentry and a heavy budget steel frame. The front brake in particular looks like something from the 1980s and the bike as a whole (if it is as sold) looks like something I would expect to see in a branch of sports direct for around £80-90.
It may work but I wouldn't attempt anything too daring for fear of personal injury if it breaks. I hope you didn't pat too much for it.

Having said that, someone far more knowledgeable of the subject than me is sure to be along shortly to explain that it is actually a top-flight, sought after frameset and you have bagged a bargain.....

OP
OP
Yamyamsteve

Yamyamsteve

Regular
Seems ok ride wise and I'm 42 so not about to start doing anything to daring other than a roll round the local track with the kids just wanted a rider so can leave the burner at home just to stare at

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looking more closely it does seem a few things have been changed like the front brakes as I like Skol says. It’s missing the special linkage under the stem. which allows the bars to be swung around without binding up the cables. I see the rear brake cable is held in place with a cable tie.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I think it might be a newer frame designed to look old school. I say that because of the rear brake set up. The stem and bars are from a younger era for sure. Old Mongoose frames mostly (but not all) had a double sided gusset with a circular hole up by the headset. At first I thought it was a GT Performer due to the way the seat stays start in front of the seat tube but I think you'd find GT stamped on the frame somewhere, probably by the rear drop outs. Looks like a nice bike, definatly not a BSO either. What Burner do you have? I've got an early Mk 1 Ultra Burner in black and gold with coaster tab frame. It's in bits at the moment needing a good clean up but I'm keeping it survivor condition.

D

Deleted member 23692

Looks like a mid 90s Mongoose Hooligan

Top Bottom