Board Games

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
longers said:
Yahtze. If that's how it's spelt.

Great fun game - nice and tidy. 'Boggle' was/is always a good game. Also, not a board game but 'Uno' is fun too.

When I was playing cricket regularly in the 70s... I was always fascinated by tennis players in the clubhouse who sat themselves down post-match and got stuck into the board game 'Mastermind'.
200px-Mastermind.jpg

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Willow said:
I like playing really simple board games with the boys after tea before the bedtime routine starts. We love coppit (any one remember it?). We've got lots of more complicated games but at that time of day it's simplicity we need no fiddly bits to set up, anyone recommend anything. (Age 12,10 and me!)

Wasn't Coppit the one with the brightly coloured cones that you stack up on the way around the board?

My 5 year old loves putting a jigsaw together before bedtime and the 1 year old likes taking it apart at the same time!

mangaman

I always liked "Risk" and "Escape from Colditz" when I was a kid

Not keen on "Monopoly" as it never seemed to end

AdamBlade

Escape from Colditz was great. I used to play that with my dad when I was a kid. In fact, it was my dads original game from the 60's. I'm sure my parents have kept all my old childhood games. Will have to ask them so I can play them with my 5yr old son.

OP
OP
W

Willow

Mr Pig said:
Great game, haven't played that in ages. My favorite is chess but no one will play me.

My kids like Guess Who and Connect Four.

My 12 yr old is a whizz at chess, got asked not to come to the school chess club anymore because no one else won anything for nearly 2 years! Needless to say I don't play him!

OP
OP
W

Willow

Piemaster said:
Not a board game but UNO is good for developing those all important family relationships. Stitching each other up, revenge, deceit, temporary alliances and betrayal all come into play to form those close bonds.

uno is our holiday game spend hours playing it, fantastic. Unfortunately some friends boys made on holiday killed it for us as the little girl wanted to play it all the time. I can still hear her saying it 'shall we play uno' aghh

OP
OP
W

Willow

threebikesmcginty said:
Wasn't Coppit the one with the brightly coloured cones that you stack up on the way around the board?

My 5 year old loves putting a jigsaw together before bedtime and the 1 year old likes taking it apart at the same time!

yep that's the one, we play one round normally, one road scratch out saftety squares and one or two other rules we use to vary it.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Look on eBay for Smuggle. It's utterly hilarious and involves trying to smile sweetly and members of your family and occassionally lie through your teeth. You need a really poker face sometimes to bluff your way past the Customs Offiver when you're carrying high value items :rolleyes:

Another recent goody is 'Last Word' by Paul Lomond Games. Very simple to play - you just need to shout out words that begin with the upturned letter card and match the topic on the subject card. A wee electronic random timer will buzz when time's up, and the person who called out a word last wins, and moves a space along the board towards the winning line.

Pass The Pigs is pretty simple. Like Yahtzee, but with two plastic pigs as dice, and you get points for matching positions that the pigs land in.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My lot like playing Cluedo... partly becaise I'm so useless at it!
Mind you, I come into my own (so to speak) in Trivial Pursuits or Pictionary :rolleyes:

Fnaar said:
My lot like playing Cluedo... partly becaise I'm so useless at it!
Mind you, I come into my own (so to speak) in Trivial Pursuits or Pictionary :rolleyes:

yeh, i'm thinking my kids will hate playing pictionary with me and my soon to be wife (assuming we have kids) since I'm a designer and she can't draw!

ChrisKH

Guru
Piemaster said:
Not a board game but UNO is good for developing those all important family relationships. Stitching each other up, revenge, deceit, temporary alliances and betrayal all come into play to form those close bonds.

Yes, agreed. My kids love it.

mangaman said:
Not keen on "Monopoly" as it never seemed to end

Yes - whoever gets hotels on Mayfair and Park Lane does seem to win a lot.

We bought Junior Monopoly for our kids when they were junior school age, but still play it now occasionally. Much better element of luck involved with faster changes in fortune, and really easy rules. Also, doesn't go on forever IOE!

Top Bottom