Boardman 8.8 disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone,

I’d be really grateful to hear anyone’s input.

I’ve found a Boardman 8.8 disc (I presume it’s either 2020 or 2021 given 2019 model had rim brakes?) for £500 through a second hand shop. It’s been ridden for 50km.

Does this seem like a good deal? To me it does, but I’m still unsure if it’s been marked down significantly, given that the shop will also be taking a cut. If the shop takes idk £100 from that, the bike’s gone from £850ish to £400 which seems like a lot?

Thanks!

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Perhaps the cycling bubble has burst after the pandemic. I recently sold my old bike and had to cut the price.from £1000 to £800. So not surprised that there would be some great deals around. Would make sure it is the right bike for you rather than getting it because it is a bargain though

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like a pretty good deal for the price especially due to the low mileage if that's correct. Don't think shops have to change VAT on SH items.
Is it your size?
Only downside I can see is the mechanical discs. Good solid spec otherwise, here's a run down.

https://99spokes.com/en/bikes/boardman/2021/slr-8.8-disc

The bike industry is currently suffering a downturn in sales which filters through to the SH market so bargains to be had.

Last edited:

Twilkes

Guru
I have that exact bike (Tiagra 10 speed, silver frame?) and it's great, if it fits I would go for it. It's pretty much the equivalent of something like a Cannondale Optimo.

Pre covid I wouldn't expect to (or want to) pay more than 50% RRP for any second hand bike so maybe that is just prices rebalancing again. Or maybe the shop got it dirt cheap from someone and want to shift it so they can focus on selling people more expensive bikes.

OP
OP
W

westlondon24

Perhaps the cycling bubble has burst after the pandemic. I recently sold my old bike and had to cut the price.from £1000 to £800. So not surprised that there would be some great deals around. Would make sure it is the right bike for you rather than getting it because it is a bargain though

Ah I see! Yes. Thank you

vickster

Legendary Member
Original owner possibly got on C2W, never used it, saved a chunk buying through the scheme and just moved it on in the easiest possible way.
Seems a good deal if it’s what you’re looking for and fits you well

OP
OP
W

westlondon24

Sounds like a pretty good deal for the price especially due to the low mileage if that's correct. Don't think shops have to change VAT on SH items.
Is it your size?
Only downside I can see is the mechanical discs. Good solid spec otherwise, here's a run down.

https://99spokes.com/en/bikes/boardman/2021/slr-8.8-disc

The bike industry is currently suffering a downturn in sales which filters through to the SH market so bargains to be had.

Cool! Yes pretty sure - 52cm and I’m 5’6/7.

Interesting thanks!

OP
OP
W

westlondon24

I have that exact bike (Tiagra 10 speed, silver frame?) and it's great, if it fits I would go for it. It's pretty much the equivalent of something like a Cannondale Optimo.

Pre covid I wouldn't expect to (or want to) pay more than 50% RRP for any second hand bike so maybe that is just prices rebalancing again. Or maybe the shop got it dirt cheap from someone and want to shift it so they can focus on selling people more expensive bikes.

That’s the one! Great to hear you’re enjoying yours.

Ah I never realised 50% was a good rule of thumb. I’ll remember that.

OP
OP
W

westlondon24

Original owner possibly got on C2W, never used it, saved a chunk buying through the scheme and just moved it on in the easiest possible way.
Seems a good deal if it’s what you’re looking for and fits you well

That’s probably it! Thank you

OP
OP
W

westlondon24

I'm 5'7" and ride a 52 cm frame. Hope you get the bargain and the ride you want!

That’s reassuring and thanks! Just ridden it home from the shop - Cyclecare Earls Court Road - would really recommend this place. Also just fyi, previous owner was in his early 80s, went for a couple of rides on it to try out road cycling, then was happy selling it for less.

Last edited:

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
That’s reassuring and thanks! Just ridden it home from the shop - Cyclecare Earls Court Road - would really recommend this place. Also just fyi, previous owner was in his early 80s, went for a couple of rides on it to try out road cycling, then was happy selling it for less.

Sounds like a great find. I'm in Birmingham, but thanks for the recommendation. Enjoy your time on it

Top Bottom