Boardman 8.9 SLR Upgrade to Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
OP came, posted (Mon evening), looked and answered "11sp" Tuesday and gave @Jowwey a 'like', and has not been seen since. As Ian says: probably doesn't care: he was just throwing the question out there.
For interest, how much do you think it would cost @jowwy , going from mechanical 105 rim brakes to Di2 (Ultegra)? Would give us a quantative foundation for whether it was 'worth' adorning a bike costing £1100 retail with Di2?
The two immediate upgrades I'd go for are decent brake pads and decent tyres. Then I'd swap out the calipers.

Can you buy Di2 in a rim brake configuration? Not sure I knew that.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Can you buy Di2 in a rim brake configuration? Not sure I knew that.
Yes……

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
OP came, posted (Mon evening), looked and answered "11sp" Tuesday and gave @Jowwey a 'like', and has not been seen since. As Ian says: probably doesn't care: he was just throwing the question out there.
For interest, how much do you think it would cost @jowwy , going from mechanical 105 rim brakes to Di2 (Ultegra)? Would give us a quantative foundation for whether it was 'worth' adorning a bike costing £1100 retail with Di2?
The two immediate upgrades I'd go for are decent brake pads and decent tyres. Then I'd swap out the calipers.
Mechs around £500, cabling around £100, junction box £60, battery £100……shifters £350

or keep his current shifters and use sprint buttons at around £100…..

but to be honest, its not about what the bike is worth/cost, its whether the OP wants it on his bike or not.

myself, i built a flat bar bike with mavic 650b wheels, £100 cube frame and forks, horizon 47mm tyres, cheap bars, stem and seatpost from deda, cheap shimano disc brakes……and adourned it with 1 x 11 DI2 shifting. Now you could say why would you adourn a £100 cube frame with a £1000 electric gear system and the answer is pretty simple, cause i’m worth it and wanted it.

the cost of the bike, miles ridden, experience of riding, means absolutley nothing……..just my 2 cents.

then to add more shock horror to the cc collective, when i realised my knee was too damaged (even after multiple surgeries) to carry on the 30mile commute rides as regular as i wanted. I bought a cube E bike, stripped the DI2 off the other frameset and adourned my ebike with it, before a mile was even ridden with the manual gears…..

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
I have given my response - but remember, rules of this site state you shouldn't bring comments or remarks made in other posts over into new ones. So the OP says nothing about experience, miles ridden, etc etc in this post....he's just asked about DI2

just my 2 cents worth

I'm not aware of any other posts made by the OP, never mind made reference to them. I have made inferences from his original post on this thread, which I think should be fairly obvious to everyone. Anything else you want to complain about in my posts?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Mechs around £500, cabling around £100, junction box £60, battery £100……shifters £350

or keep his current shifters and use sprint buttons at around £100…..

but to be honest, its not about what the bike is worth/cost, its whether the OP wants it on his bike or not.

myself, i built a flat bar bike with mavic 650b wheels, £100 cube frame and forks, horizon 47mm tyres, cheap bars, stem and seatpost from deda, cheap shimano disc brakes……and adourned it with 1 x 11 DI2 shifting. Now you could say why would you adourn a £100 cube frame with a £1000 electric gear system and the answer is pretty simple, cause i’m worth it and wanted it.

the cost of the bike, miles ridden, experience of riding, means absolutley nothing……..just my 2 cents.

then to add more shock horror to the cc collective, when i realised my knee was too damaged (even after multiple surgeries) to carry on the 30mile commute rides as regular as i wanted. I bought a cube E bike, stripped the DI2 off the other frameset and adourned my ebike with it, before a mile was even ridden with the manual gears…..
I like the cut of your jib (On this matter at least). No one has to justify anything other than to themselves, if you want it go for it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im not surprised the OP hasnt been back , all he asked was a simple question and it seems to have opened up a can of worms when i think a simple yes or no might have been a more appropriate response ?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Im not surprised the OP hasnt been back , all he asked was a simple question and it seems to have opened up a can of worms when i think a simple yes or no might have been a more appropriate response ?
ck - they did come back and see the first responses but the OP has not been back to read the naysayers nor to enjoy the chat, so we have hopefully not adversely affected their mojo nor their lack of motivation for coming to read the responses.
Perhaps you @cyberknight could answer the question with a 'yes' or 'no'?
To help you I'll paste the OP's two part question in "I recently bought a Boardman 8.9 SLR and want to upgrade it to Shimano DI2. Has anyone done this and is it worth doing it ?"
I'll warrant that the number of people in the wide world who can answer 'yes' to the first is negligible. I suggest that's for obvious reasons: (bike retails at £1100 and @jowwy has quantified the Di2 costs).
"Is it worth it?" Since that's a subjective question, I don't think it's unreasonable for people to explore the facts (that's what your early response sought) and offer their opinion.
A simple 'yes' or 'no' response would have been inadequate and neither helpful nor "appropriate".

Top Bottom