Boardman adv 8.8 Rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

My Boardman is virtually brand new, I’ve noticed over the past while there is a really annoying rattle from the front when riding over bumpy road surfaces.

I‘ve tried really hard to figure out where it is coming from but to no avail.

It does it whether I’m pedalling or not, so can rule out pedals etc.

Can anyone give me some things to check……

Theres no obvious play in headset, it has QR wheel skewers,could it be something to do with that? I’m convinced it’s from the front fork or wheel area, the cable to front caliper runs internally through the fork.

Dry headset bearings

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I’m just back a ride and I’ve figured it out.

Its the headset that is creaking over bumpy ground, whilst riding if I pull-up and down on the bars I can replicate the creak/rattle @itboffin was indeed correct.

I presume they just need a lube, so bars off, front wheel off disconnect headset and slide out fork,to lube?

Brandane

Legendary Member

Its the headset that is creaking over bumpy ground, whilst riding if I pull-up and down on the bars I can replicate the creak/rattle @itboffin was indeed correct.

I presume they just need a lube, so bars off, front wheel off disconnect headset and slide out fork,to lube?
No need for all that....
Loosen stem clamp bolts and the bolt in the centre of the stem cap. Remove stem cap. Lift off the bars and spacers, then drop the fork down far enough to give you enough space to get some grease into the top and bottom bearings. It depends on the type of bearings how easy, or not, this is.. Are they loose ball bearings, or ones held together in a nasty little frame, or hopefully a sealed bearing unit (but in that case why would it need lubed??).
Good luck.

Twilkes

Guru

I had this on a bike, and it was two things contributing to the noise - I took the stem bolts off, lifted the stem off and cleaned the two contact surfaces, greased the bolts and refitted them and no noise from there (previously the stem bolts had produced the creaking noise even just as they were being tightened up to torque); and the second is the cabling, in particular where it was clamped to the frame, one of them made a creaking noise when I just pushed it with my finger, and I was hearing this noise while riding.

Try the simple stuff first before taking your headset apart.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
That could be your problem.
I have a Merida Ride 4000 with internal cables. On anything less than a smooth road surface, they cause a slightly annoying rattle. There are solutions, but I don't find it enough of a problem to bother about it. Yet!
That.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Just had a look at the creak/rattle issue on the stand.

I slackened all the stem,headset and handle bar bolts and re tightened,creak still there. So off with the fork,removed both top and bottom bearings, there was still grease present but a bit dirty, fully cleaned bearings,fork and bearing seats,re greased and refitted.

All is now perfect.

Not sure exactly what was causing the creak but I’m happy it’s now resolved, and I’ve learned a bit today also!

Thanks for all advice/replies!

You are a wonderful bunch!

Yep 100% had the same on my new bike but spent weeks trying other things before the headset 😠

Top Bottom