Boardman Bikes......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neil ockwell

Hi guys, i'm looking at making the leap into buying a new road bike having spent the last two years riding around on a hybrid, i was wondering what peoples views on Boardman bikes are?

I have a budget of around £1000 and they do what looks like a reasonable carbon bike which they call the Team Carbon, i have arranged a ride on one but i'm in the position where i can get a sizeable discount.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there who either has this bike or has rode a Boardman bike that can give me an honest review on how they find them.

Many thanks, Neil

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's a thread here that may be of interest: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/halfords-takeover-boardman-bikes.157808/
Nominally it's about Halfords taking over the brand, but if you read on there are various opinions (generally, but not all, good) about the quality of the product.
I have a friend who rides a Boardman CX bike and loves it.

uclown2002

Guru
Boardman reviews are typically very positive. I started out with the Hybrid Team, now relegated to winter ice bike, Also got a Road Team (alu) and it looks and rides great.
Simply put, you can't go far wrong.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
This bike (if I am correct) was reviewed as part of a group test in Cycling Plus mag about 3 copies back & came out very highly.

If it is sub £1k, black & has a Tiagra mix group set then that's the one.

With your big discounts it's a no brainer, go for it.

Last edited:

Jason.T

I've got the 2013 team carbon model and my friend has the 2014 model, both fantastic bikes, I love mine

The only problem I've had is the bottom bracket bearing needed changing, had it changed under warranty but it went again withing a few hundred miles so on the second change I did the job myself packing the bearings full of grease and not had a problem scinse

I had a bike fit a few weeks back and was talking to the guy about various bikes and even though he doesn't sell boardmans he did say you will be hard pressed to get a Better bike for your money

tudor_77

Über Member
Boardman are brilliant bikes, the ride quality is superb. I have owned Boardman (Road Race model and for a little while Team Race) and absolutely love them. Service from Halfords is extremely variable. Best bet would be to buy the bike and then put it into your local bike shop for a once over and to get the gears indexed and brakes set up correctly.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As above, the bikes are briliant - I have a hybrid and one of the orginal SRAM equipped Team Carbon road bikes. The only problem is some of the Halfords staff and their lack of skills.

Get a boxed version and have it built & set up by a mechanic you trust,

Wolfy

Got two Boardmans, team carbon and a cx team absolute brilliant bikes never had any problems, mind you I do look after them!

Top Bottom