Boardman bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
do they really only come up to 57cm in size?!
Was look at some for my brother, and the XL only comes up to 57cm apparently!!
Does this mean for all of us over 6ft tall, we cannot divulge in the Boardman range or is there a secret stash of larger sizes hidden away somewhere?

e-rider

crappy member
The XL is the largest but it's quite big. 57cm is probably the length of the seat tube from BB to top of tube. With a sloping top tube that puts it at about a 60cm or so normal size.

Don't quote me on this but I'd say the Boardman XL must be good for up to 6'2".

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
looked at the geometry, 57cm BB to TT, (guessign centre to centre) and 58.5cm top tube, so 6'2 would find it pretty cramped. I am 6'2 / 6'3 and would struggle on a bike this size without having a yard of seatpost poking out - which is something I certainly wouldn't do if I were a heavier rider.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
montage said:
looked at the geometry, 57cm BB to TT, (guessign centre to centre) and 58.5cm top tube, so 6'2 would find it pretty cramped. I am 6'2 / 6'3 and would struggle on a bike this size without having a yard of seatpost poking out - which is something I certainly wouldn't do if I were a heavier rider.

I'm your height, my mtb's (and tourer) have 'yards' of seat post sticking out. The MTBs take way bigger hits than any road bike ever does. Only time I've ever had a seatpost fail was a carbon job 15 years ago. Surely with sloping top tube designs and modern seatposts even a clydesdale is safe?

Captain

hi there, I am exactly 6 feet tall (not sure how tall you are OP) but when choosing my boardman hybrid I sat on the L size bike and found it too big for me. I've ended up with the medium size and I'm finding it awesome.
all the Boardman road bikes and hybrids have the same geometry so most shops have a full range of sizes to try sitting on - problem is halfords wont let you take it for a spin.
I dont know how heavy you would have to be to break a seatpost but I have about 5" out and I weigh 100kilos (technically obese)

adscrim

Veteran
I'm 5'11" and the medium fits me beautifully. I'm so pleased the the road comp and its all round performance that I've just purchased a carbon pro (has been despatched this morning!!). I'd say there is plenty scope for the large and x-large to fit 6'plus riders.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
GregCollins said:
I'm your height, my mtb's (and tourer) have 'yards' of seat post sticking out. The MTBs take way bigger hits than any road bike ever does. Only time I've ever had a seatpost fail was a carbon job 15 years ago. Surely with sloping top tube designs and modern seatposts even a clydesdale is safe?

The seatpost failing is only 1 worry, the seat tube failing is a bigger concern (a carbon frame may even be a bigger concern, I dont know, I know very little about carbon). But ensuring the min insertion point isnt exceeded then surely this wont be an issue with a lot of seat post sticking out, at least your warranty should be witheld. The min insertion should be a percentage of total length so for a longer seat post the min insertion point should also be larger, at least to my knowledge it is. It would be the obviously sensible way for it to be, I could be wrong though.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
plenty of 400mm 27.2mm seatposts out there if an extra 5cm helps you sleep at night.

I've broken most things on bikes in my time. Never had a seat tube go.

Duds

I have just got a Baordman Team Carbon.
I bought the Large

I'm 6'2"

I tried the XL, but the L suits me fine.

Top Bottom