Boardman cx team vs whyte kings cross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Both great bikes, but I'm not a fan on the increased angle on the head tube and forks that whyte use, just looks odd to me.

rollinstok

I want a Boardman CX ( stamps feet ) I want one now ( but I,m skint ) ... seriously though, the Boardman is my next purchase when I come back off holiday.

VamP

Banned
Both great bikes, but I'm not a fan on the increased angle on the head tube and forks that whyte use, just looks odd to me.

The radical slack angle gets rave reviews by those who've ridden it off road. Whyte have a great pedigree for designing bikes that ride well in the real world, rahter than look great on paper. Personally, I would go for the Saxon Cross which is better spec, and the right level to compare to the Boardman.

Nowt wrong with the Boardman, especially at that price point, but the Whyte's are a cut above. More expensive tho'.

At OP - have a look at Kinesis Pro 6 as well. A lot depends on what you're looking to use this bike for. If mainly on road commmuting, then you might as well stick with the Boardman.

BigTam

Über Member
Boardman :thumbsup:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
The radical slack angle gets rave reviews by those who've ridden it off road. Whyte have a great pedigree for designing bikes that ride well in the real world, rahter than look great on paper. Personally, I would go for the Saxon Cross which is better spec, and the right level to compare to the Boardman.

Nowt wrong with the Boardman, especially at that price point, but the Whyte's are a cut above. More expensive tho'.

At OP - have a look at Kinesis Pro 6 as well. A lot depends on what you're looking to use this bike for. If mainly on road commmuting, then you might as well stick with the Boardman.

I understand the theory behind the angle, but to my eye it just looks odd. Perhaps I'm too used to road bikes. I guess it's a matter of taste. I like my CAADX just fine.

VamP

Banned
I understand the theory behind the angle, but to my eye it just looks odd. Perhaps I'm too used to road bikes. I guess it's a matter of taste. I like my CAADX just fine.

You certainly notice it ^_^

I have not had the opportunity to try it yet, so am just going off what I have read about it. My bikes are fairly conventional in their geometries, though the Kinesis a bit less so.

VamP

Banned
Based on the disk brakes, avids over tektro's , I would go for the Boardman

Interestingly, the Saxon Cross comes with the superior BB7s. The OP would be well advised to ask current Boardman CX owners - and there's a lot on this site - how many felt the need to upgrade from BB5 to BB7. And factor the cost of that upgrade into his considerations.

2old2care

Über Member
I had the same dilemma as you, but I opted for the Whyte Kings cross as I wanted to do the occassional cross race, but also commute with it. The advantages of the Whyte are that all the cables are enclosed and routed along the top tube, the clearances for tyres means that I can fit 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Winters, I have also been able to fit full mudguards. The downsides are that it doesn't come with a full carbon fork, (like the Boardman) and it may be a bit heavier. With the Boardman I doubt that you would be able to fit wide tyres, and the cables are run on the down tube in all the muck. But both bikes are great. ps I find the Tektro brakes perfectly fine.^_^ pps ridden mine all year and not had a single problem.

theloafer

Legendary Member
fitted to the boardman..Ritchey Excavader 700x35 ..:thumbsup: dam fine bike^_^.. also you dont need a disc specific rack as the boardman has the brake caliper in the senseable place :whistle:
bike stable.jpg

Top Bottom