Boardman cx team vs whyte kings cross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I want a Boardman CX ( stamps feet ) I want one now ( but I,m skint ) ... seriously though, the Boardman is my next purchase when I come back off holiday.

Have you seen that Halfords have upped the price of the CX; it was £749, it is now £899 (apparently down from £999) :stop:

WTF?

I want a CX too (as my winter bike,) but I have to wait 'til my current C2W agreement has finished :boxing:

lejogger

Guru
I want a CX too (as my winter bike,) but I have to wait 'til my current C2W agreement has finished :boxing:
Personal choice or are the company making you wait? We don't mind the odd overlap here (well I administer the scheme and it suited me)!
Interestingly, the Saxon Cross comes with the superior BB7s. The OP would be well advised to ask current Boardman CX owners - and there's a lot on this site - how many felt the need to upgrade from BB5 to BB7. And factor the cost of that upgrade into his considerations.
It's a good point. The BB5s are fiddly and can be a pain to get bedded in properly. Apparently the BB7 are a lot better in this regard especially with the dual side pad adjustment as opposed to the single sided BB5s. However if you persevere and get them sorted then they are a good brake. I have no plans to upgrade mine any time soon.

matimage

I am off to test drive a kings cross today. Halfords say they don't keep the CX Team in store and to have a look at one I would have to buy. Unless the Whyte is a big pile I guess I'll be going for that!

RRCC

Guru
I am about to buy this type of bike, I like the Boardman, and to my way of thinking the Whyte is more like a mountain bike with drops (remember John Tomac) than a general purpose bike that can cope with some rough stuff.
My other possibility is this Rose
1799332_1.jpg

BB7s around £1000 and scope for specifying saddle, seat post, stem, gearing etc.
The top tube is shorter than the Boardman and the Head angle smaller.
What does the panel think?

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I ride a Kings Cross, and it is superb on the road and even better on rough terrain even on the skinny slicks that are supplied as stock.

I've never owned a thorough bred road bike or MTB, but find that this has handled everything I have thrown at it over long road rides and on grass, rock, gravel and mud, and has felt solid and ready for more.

It's like having a super dependable mate who's there for the day to day seriousness at work but isn't afraid to go a little crazy with you when you need to let your hair down.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I am about to buy this type of bike, I like the Boardman, and to my way of thinking the Whyte is more like a mountain bike with drops (remember John Tomac) than a general purpose bike that can cope with some rough stuff.
My other possibility is this Rose
1799332_1.jpg

BB7s around £1000 and scope for specifying saddle, seat post, stem, gearing etc.
The top tube is shorter than the Boardman and the Head angle smaller.
What does the panel think?
Lovely looking bike IMHO!

Top Bottom