Boardman Hybrid Comp - Chain snapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k8srd

Hi there been a while since my last post but am needing a bit of technical info. My chain snapped last week i repaired it but it went again today so am needing a new chain but have no idea what chain i should buy??

I assume when you look for speed it counts the amount of cogs on the back for chain length? If someone has bought another chain for this bike again letting me know which one to get would be great. Am aware that the cassette may need changed when you replace the chain but not done thousands of miles so hoping i'll get away with just a chain change.

Cheers :thumbsup:

OP
OP
K

k8srd

Just looking on halfords website and looking at a SRAM PC-971 9 Speed Bike Chain. Hoping this is the right fellow got a couple of good reviews too :smile:

Chains are either classified as 4-8 speed 9 or 10 speed; basically the higher the speed the rear cassette is the more sprockets it'll have and hence the chain will need to be thinner.

Chain length I usually just determine from the chain I took off but for the last chain I bought, I also changed my cassette size so I used this method.

You are right you sometimes need to replace your cassette too depending how bad your chain was worn/ conditions but you might get away with not having to, you'll know when you fit the new chain, if it constantly jumps you will need a new cassette too.

adscrim

Veteran
KMC chains are excellent value for money in my opinion. The 9 speed chain here would do the job nicely - they also come with a quick link/power link for easy removal.

400bhp

Guru
My chain snapped on my Boardman comp (now sold the bike), so I'm guessing they aren't particularly strong.

Top Bottom