Boardman Hybrid Comp - is the double chainset a problem on hills

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by max1234, 11 May 2010.

1. Captain

Captain New Member

This is a steep bit of tarmac:becool:
    It's probably less than 1 in 3 but it's steep.
    I may have a to take a photo in the morning.

I don't think this bike has any problem on hills. but the hills I ride are short and sharp - @Cubist: bloody hell thats a long time going uphill.

2. boardman compact

I have been using my boardman comp since Feb , I really like it on my commute approx 7 miles e/w I have a long gradient to climb, not being an expert I have tried various combinations with the gearing and would be more than confident to tackle most hills with this bike.

3. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

Steepest I've been up (I think) is a stretch of 1:5 on Horseshoe Pass, Llangollen.
    On a scale of 1 to steep it was STEEP!!!!
    There's some 1:3.5 in Llandudno IIRC that I completely failed to get up when I was 16. I doubt I'd do any better now.

4. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

I suppose when I say with ease I mean that yes it would hurt & be hard work but I wouldn't really need to push my self to the limit of my abilities to get up a 1:3 on that gearing.

5. jimboalee

jimboalee New Member

I got up there on my SWorks with 39 x 25. 3.5 mph at the slowest point. 325ish Watts I reckon, at 30 rpm.

6. PpPete

PpPete Guru

We can't all put out 300+ watts ! And the SWorks is a seriously light bike too.

Personally I'd want a triple on a hybrid. But then I failed to get up a 1 in 5 in a 26" gear in the middle of my first 100k. I've got smaller chainrings now.

7. Plax

Plax Veteran

Great Orme. Want to have another go next time your over? ;)

8. TheDoctor

No, I do not. It was just stupid.
    I quite fancy the toll road round the Great Orme though.

9. TheDoctor

Duplicate post

10. TheDoctor

PC went a bit strange there!!!

11. Captain

Captain New Member

I tried climbing this hill the other day after reading this thread.
    It's the same as the one on my way to work but a lot longer.
    I must say upon closer inspection 1 in 3 is more likely 1 in 4. to me pretty damn steep.

12. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Here for rides.

the B3122 which runs parallel gets a single < on the OS map suggesting it is between 1 in 7 (14%) and 1 in 5 (20%) whilst bikehike suggest St Agnes itself is a climb of 18m over about 200m.

I know from my own, albeit rural, commute that roads with < on them can have significantly steeper micro-climbs on them, piffling to the internal combustion engine but decidedly awkward for my legs.

13. deckertim

deckertim Guest

I did the Evans King of the Down Sportive yesterday. I am not that fit, soI was glad I had a triple with 28 front and 34 back for some of the hills as I was able to cycle up all of them. Albeit stopping for a breather half way up. There were plenty of younger fitter guys than me who had compact chainsets that were having to walk up.

14. Captain

Captain New Member

@GregCollins: I stand corrected! :ohmy:
    It's damn steep is the main point really.
    I dont know what it would be like with any kind of load though - i've only climbed it with my saddlebag on.

There is a road I am building up to trying that I dont know the gradient of except that the bricks in the wall next to it are cut in half corner to corner.
    Thought I had gradient notage sorted but is that 1 in 2?

15. Sally

Sally New Member

Can I ask for some related advice?

I have just got a Boardman's Womens Hybrid Comp, and I'm really enjoying it but struggling a bit with gear sequencing on my commute to work.
    It's pretty busy traffic wise and has a short steepish hill and quite a few pedestrian crossings (not in the same stretch thank goodness!)
    The range of the gears is absolutely fine for my journey but my last bike had a hub gear so I'm out of practice and struggling to get my head round using a double chainset rather than a triple as I was previously used to

So two specific issues I am finding

1. If I'm in top gear (2 and 9 front and back respectively) and the predestrian crossing lights change so I need a quick stop, I am struggling a bit to change down to 2 and 5 which is comfortable for a standing start and brake at the same time. Is this just a case of getting used to doing this? I am assuming that I shouldn't shift to 1 and 9 as that wouldn't be good for the gears?

2. As I start my ascent I am in 2 and 5, whereas at the top I will want to be in about 1 and 3. What's a sensible sequence to move between these without losing too much momentum?

Any advice gratefully received (though if it's try harder / build your quads please remember there's lots of traffic so I do need to keep quite an eye on the cars and stay flexible to avoid them!!)

thanks

Sally

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice