Boardman Hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adw

Hi,

I was bought this bike as a christmas present and I have to say it is a lovely bike. But i'm starting to feel I would prefer drop handlebars. Would this be difficult to change or possible?

It has sram x.5 gearing and avid bb5 disc brakes both of which I'd like to keep if possible. I've found a source for drops that fit my stem size but not sure about the levers i'll need. I'd like the ones that allow you to brake and shift gear.

Cheers,

Andy

bauldbairn

I can't give you technical advice from experience but I do know that the "Kona Dew Drop" and the "Revolution Country Explorer" from the Edinburgh Bike Coop have drops and mechanical discs.
Hopefully looking at the specs of these bikes would tell you what brake/gearchange levers would work on your Boardman drops.

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about the Revolution Explorer and brake levers upgrades were discussed - I think?:wacko:

I start work shortly - so I'll have a look for you when I get in tonight(if you haven't already found it). :sad:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
SRAM DoubleTap leavers are 10 speed and won't with your current 9 speed group set, you can either move to a 10 speed group set, or use Shimano Tiagra shifters...

OP
OP
A

adw

Ok, that's interesting. I didn't think shimano tiagra shifters would be compatible with an sram x5 group set, does that go for any shimano shifter such as the sora 9 speed sti? The ultimate intention is to keep as much of the group set as possible. (Please excuse my knowledge - which isn't fantastic but i'm trying to learn)

So can i presume that shifters generally will be compatible with each other as long as there are the same amount of gears on the cassette? In my case 9? If the above is true then the gear obstacle is sorted? The front cog has two gears.

OP
OP
A

adw

Cool, thanks for your advice. Not really sure where to go with this now, can anyone help?

Garz

Squat Member
Sell it, get a drop bar boardman. I have a comp its ace, sorry but easiest way adw.

OP
OP
A

adw

That's not an option, selling a present a loved one has purchased is not right. Besides i like having the disc brakes.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Shimano 9 speed STI (drop bar)shifters are all compatible with each other. Not sure if they will be index correctly with your SRAM mechs. But if you are paying out for new STIs then new Shimano shifters is not a whole lot more.

GrasB

Veteran
Sell the bike, though changing the shifters will be easy enough the frame if it's the right length now will be far to long on the hoods & drops. Some options for disc brakes on drops are Genesis Croix De Fer Kona Dewdrop, Trek Portland & Marin Toscana or Lombard. I'm sure there are others out there too.

Word of warning on changing the shifters & SRAM rear mechs. SRAM their have 1:1 system, while the spacing gear is shimano compatible the cable pull is different so you need to make sure that the rear mech & shifters are compatible. From what I understand all SRAM ergo shifters are 1:1, however not all of the SRAM MTB line up is 1:1.

Top Bottom