Boardman MHT 8.6 or MTX 8.8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrMister111

Über Member
Deciding between Boardman MHT 8.6 or MTX 8.8.

Want it for general use to try and get back into biking. No mammoth road trips, or forest use, but will be off-road on coastline, gravel track, coast hills etc.

Just not sure on the MTX for tyres if don't look robust enough?

On the MTX could you also swap the whole wheels, say I bought a set like the MHT can they just fit on as are quick release?

Also what do the spec look like between these? Anything good/bad better/worse between them?

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2187-mht-8.6-blue.html

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2171-mtx-8.8.html

Thanks

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The MTX is effectively a mountain bike, fitted with more road biased wheels / tyres.
The MHT is a mountain bike.

I've got an MX Sport (a predecessor of the MTX) and it copes absolutely fine with the type of riding you've described. You could swap the tyres out if you really wanted to, but in my experience you probably won't need to.

Both are good bikes, they're just slightly different.

If you've a Cycle Republic nearby, they'll allow you to road test both and see what you think - and there is no better way to decide if a bike is for you than riding it.

OP
OP
M

MrMister111

Über Member
Thanks that's good to know from someone who has one.

So where do you go on your MX sport? What tyres has it got on?

I'm just thinking in case in future that I find doing more off road could have 2 sets. Be good if they both fit.

I'm definitely leaning more to the MTX 8.8, and I also think it's better spec from comparing online.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Thanks that's good to know from someone who has one.

So share do you go on your MX sport? What tyres has it got on?

I'm just thinking in case in future that I find doing more off road could have 2 sets. Be good if they both fit.

I'm definitely leaning more to the MTX 8.8, and I also think it's better spec from comparing online.

The MX Sport had Schwalbe Tyragos on it when new (like the MTX has) and it now has Schwalbe Land Cruisers fitted, which are similar.
They're a good balance between providing enough grip and not being excessively slow on road.

I use it on bridleways, tracks, NCNs, etc. I also ride it on road, but that's generally only to get to places to ride off road.
I've yet to find anywhere off road that it couldn't cope with.

Proof that mud isn't a problem:
IMG_20180217_105925460.jpg
IMG_20180217_111238703.jpg

Deciding between Boardman MHT 8.6 or MTX 8.8.

Want it for general use to try and get back into biking. No mammoth road trips, or forest use, but will be off-road on coastline, gravel track, coast hills etc.

Just not sure on the MTX for tyres if don't look robust enough?

On the MTX could you also swap the whole wheels, say I bought a set like the MHT can they just fit on as are quick release?

Also what do the spec look like between these? Anything good/bad better/worse between them?

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2187-mht-8.6-blue.html

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2171-mtx-8.8.html

Thanks
I had a Boardman and sold it after 3 months. My money would go on this and its 2kg lighter
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/roadli...MIu9uajLr94gIVAoXVCh0H3AcqEAQYBiABEgKfg_D_BwE
full_roadlite-6_c1332.png

OP
OP
M

MrMister111

Über Member
I had a Boardman and sold it after 3 months
Which one and why please?

2Kg is a lot but do want front suspension

Are you set on front suspension
Think I am, purely as want to do some gentle off-road as want the bike to be a bit multi purpose. Where ever I ride will have some off-road bits to it. Seems easy to switch to lockout for tarmac road, and on for off-road.

Do want flat bars as well for upright, I'm not about speed and prefer that stance.

Which one and why please?

2Kg is a lot but do want front suspension

Think I am, purely as want to do some gentle off-road as want the bike to be a bit multi purpose. Where ever I ride will have some off-road bits to it. Seems easy to switch to lockout for tarmac road, and on for off-road.

Do want flat bars as well for upright, I'm not about speed and prefer that stance.
I had a full sus MTB team.

Venod

Eh up
Think I am, purely as want to do some gentle off-road as want the bike to be a bit multi purpose.

It all comes down to what off road you will be doing, if its enough to need suspension, I would look at MTB's if you are only doing gentle off road a rigid fork saves a lot of weight and with the right tyres and pressures is more than capable on gentle off road stuff.

https://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=5670

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It all comes down to what off road you will be doing, if its enough to need suspension, I would look at MTB's if you are only doing gentle off road a rigid fork saves a lot of weight and with the right tyres and pressures is more than capable on gentle off road stuff.

Suspension on cheap MTB is poor quality. Better off buying a gravel bike. Or go for much better bike
We've been through this before and the OP is adamant he wants front suspension forks.

Good luck whatever you decide

I ended up buying a mht as I wasn't really bothered how fast I get about on roads and cycle paths,

Like yesterday cycle decided to turn of when I seen a trail in some woods, thought it looked a easy trail,lol turned out few places were quite tricky,so glad I went for a mountain bike.all good fun

OP
OP
M

MrMister111

Über Member
Good luck whatever you decide

I ended up buying a mht as I wasn't really bothered how fast I get about on roads and cycle paths,

Like yesterday cycle decided to turn of when I seen a trail in some woods, thought it looked a easy trail,lol turned out few places were quite tricky,so glad I went for a mountain bike.all good fun
Which MHT you go for? How are you finding it on the road? Do you use the lockout?

How about it (8.6 anyway) only having 10 gears for on the road?

Thanks

Top Bottom