Boardman or Canyon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm leaning towards the Canyon, bit bling doesn't automatically make it a better bike to ride. You need to get your leg over and test ride them, see which suits you best - you wouldn't drop that much on a car without driving it first, and you shouldnt on a bike if you want the best scoot for your moolah.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
If buying on C2W, make sure you have insurance in place to cover loss during the hire period (or you’ll need to pay instalments for a bike you don’t have)

This is important, however I would suggest cyclists taking out insurance on any decent bike.
Cant see how it makes a difference if you paid for the bike upfront or intend to pay over a number of months. Either way you will be at a significant financial loss if the thing gets nicked.

vickster

Legendary Member
This is important, however I would suggest cyclists taking out insurance on any decent bike.
Cant see how it makes a difference if you paid for the bike upfront or intend to pay over a number of months. Either way you will be at a significant financial loss if the thing gets nicked.
Yes indeed. But it’s worse not having something and having to keep paying for it. Than just not having it!
Check the terms of any insurance policy of course that it covers a C2W bike that belongs to your company not you for the term of the agreement

rivers

How far can I go?
Good evening,

(no-brainer with the cycle to work schemes)

This is hiring (insurance obligations etc) a thousand pound bike with an option to own at that the end of the hire period with a further charge, the motor industry calls it PCP.

Hardly a no-brainer.

Why not buy a Halfords Carrera, snob value aside, £400 will get you a bike that is probably better than you need. :-)

Bye

Ian
GCI is actually quite a good c2w scheme. We have it at work and I'm be n my second purchase with it. Final payout of £1

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Yes indeed. But it’s worse not having something and having to keep paying for it. Than just not having it!

I guess that comes down to peoples perspective.
I would only consider the total financial loss to my account, irrespective when the money had left or is due to leave said account.
Both would annoy me equally.

vickster

Legendary Member
That loss could be greater though if you have to finish the C2W payments and buy a new bike...rather than just buy a new bike

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've been a big fan of Boardman bikes, but the current range does nothing for me. I was looking at them in store the other day and they left me cold.

Still, if the OP has narrowed it down to a choice of two, it's test ride time isn't it?

vickster

Legendary Member
I've been a big fan of Boardman bikes, but the current range does nothing for me. I was looking at them in store the other day and they left me cold.

Still, if the OP has narrowed it down to a choice of two, it's test ride time isn't it?
Except that’s pretty hard with Canyon if UK based!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Has Canyon closed its office / store in Kingston ? More Chessington if i remember correctly . Canyon make fantastic bikes , i've toyed with buying one myself but they had a delivery issue a few years ago so i went with Giant . Never really looked at Boardman bikes so cant comment .

screenman

Legendary Member
How can getting into debt be a no brainer? 90% of cycle to work scheme bikes are covered in dust and never ridden, with one of my customers only 1 of the 11 guys that purchased still ride and this guy is a lifelong cyclist.

vickster

Legendary Member

vickster

Legendary Member
How can getting into debt be a no brainer? 90% of cycle to work scheme bikes are covered in dust and never ridden, with one of my customers only 1 of the 11 guys that purchased still ride and this guy is a lifelong cyclist.
It's not really debt but a tax efficient way of getting a bike for commuting

screenman

Legendary Member
It's not really debt but a tax efficient way of getting a bike for commuting

I see it as debt, that has to be paid back. Often it is a pure waste of money as the bikes are seldom used. I do understand the tax issue, but often there are better deals available.

vickster

Legendary Member
I see it as debt, that has to be paid back. Often it is a pure waste of money as the bikes are seldom used. I do understand the tax issue, but often there are better deals available.
The OP has stated that he'll be commuting on it, not just buying it because he can. Plenty of us waste money on all sorts of things, alcohol for example.

It's his money, he may well be able to afford the bike without C2W but prefers to have the 'debt' and take advantage of the scheme to make the tax saving

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Everyone who buys a bike on c2w thinks they are going to use the bike, few do. I think it is a very bad idea and a waste of tax payers money.

Top Bottom