Boardman or Carrera crossfire??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lizbiz1000

Hello,
I am doing the C2W scheme and have given myself a budget of £500 for a new bike. I haven't owned a bike for a few years.

I have tried the Carrera Crossfire 3 and the Boardman MX, I find the Carrera more comfortable but should I go for the higher spec of the Boardman - is there a massive difference in the quality? If I go Carrera it means I can get accessories in my budget as well.

I am going to be using it for commute to work and the odd bike ride thro London parks.

Thanks
Liz

vickster

Legendary Member
If riding on roads or paved parks, go for a bike without suspension. You'll be able to go quicker while expending less energy I'd say :smile: I think both of those have suspension?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Get the boardman hybrid race.
Unless your offroading you do not need suspension or knobblies and a well set up bike can be very comfy .I ride road bikes with no suspension and 23 mm wide tyres and can ride for many hours with no aches , apart from burning legs and lungs when i try to get a best time on a strava segment :blush:
Edit
That spesh tri cross is a bargain, if you wanted a do it all bike with drop bars assuming it fits.

sabian92

Über Member
Suspension saps your energy so it's a waste if you're riding on the road. You only need it if you're doing hardcore trails and that sort of stuff - on the road it's just extra weight.

Sandra6

Veteran
Have you considered the carrera subway? It depends on how upright a position you like to ride in I guess.
Personally I'd go for the boardman race over the crossfire but that's not to say the crossfire isn't a good bike, if that's what you find most comfortable -go for it and enjoy!

vickster

Legendary Member
The Boardman comp (2012 model?) looks to have a better spec than the Team with SRAM gearing and disc brakes (may be heavier though)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_777843_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

No carbon forks though, which imo for a £500-600 commuter should be a must

Top Bottom