Boardman or Genesis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

downtown

I haven't ridden any of the bikes in question, but just a note of caution - Wiggle do ship free to Europe, but last time I looked, the prices on their site were way higher than from Halfords. It would have been much cheaper for me to get a Eurostar and pick it up fro a Halfords in London.
And the Boardman is by no means the lightweight end of the spectrum. My Cube X-race is just over 8kg and my Kinesis Csix2 just over 7kg. The Csix is probs as light as you will get for a cross bike, and my self-build budget was £2500 without wheels for that. The Cube is off-the shelf spec at around £1200 in sales.

It all depends on your focus, if it's mainly touring you're looking for then weight is less of an issue. If you are planning some fast off road then the lightweight cross bikes really shine in undulating terrain, where you can show most MTBs a clean pair of heels.

Hmm Cube x-race looks nice :smile:

OP
OP
D

downtown

I haven't ridden any of the bikes in question, but just a note of caution - Wiggle do ship free to Europe, but last time I looked, the prices on their site were way higher than from Halfords. It would have been much cheaper for me to get a Eurostar and pick it up fro a Halfords in London.

Fair point although they don't do the CX Pro

OP
OP
D

downtown

You probably need to arrange it in advance (they take a deposit of £50) to get one in the shop of the right size for you to try. When I went to Evans to test ride they only had an Alfine 8 on the floor to test and the 11 is quite a bit different to ride.

Weight? A lot lot less than its rider :thumbsup: It does feel heavier to lift compared to my Cannondale but out on the road I don't notice the difference. I could weigh it but then I'd have to take off the lights, bottle cage, saddle bag with tool kit etc to give you a proper answer.

Yeh the 50 quid thing is a pain but I suppose they don't want to ship bikes around just so I can kick the tyres

OP
OP
D

downtown

Hargroves have last year frames at £275 which is a stunning bargain, especially given the quality of the fork they ship it with, if you're not above a bit of spannering. I am tempted by that, and the last thing I need is another cross bike :laugh:
Increadibly tempting although they only seem to have a 62 which I guess is very large right?

OP
OP
D

downtown

Ah, failed to look at sizes available. Yes 62 is large. I have a 59, I am 6'1'' and that's perfect for me.
That could work - I am just under 6' 2" with a 36 inch inside leg. Do you know if I could fit disks or is that not fram dependent?

VamP

Banned
That could work - I am just under 6' 2" with a 36 inch inside leg. Do you know if I could fit disks or is that not fram dependent?

You won't be able to fit discs to this frame.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I went through the same selection process as you last year; the Genesis CDF was heavy and I didn't like the idea of buying from Halfrauds although I liked the Boardman as it rode nicely. I ended up buying a Specialized Tricross disc, mainly because I liked the position and the shop who supplied it. I have been using it as a winter trainer with mudguards and it has fulfilled the purpose, it is extremely comfortable over long distances being similar in shape to my Roubaix although longer and slower steering. It would make an excellent tourer, really perfect.

However the Tricross is quite heavy so I have more or less decided that I will sell it and build myself a nice lightweight winter trainer/crosser based on a carbon frame, but that won't happen until Sram and Shimano have launched their hydraulic road brakes so it might be summer 2013 by the time I get seriously involved in this project.

You need to study the very good advice in this thread though; you could build yourself a smashing crosser/trainer if you took the time and looked carefully at all the options.

Top Bottom