Boardman Road Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Eribiste

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Lovely...how do you get on with the mudguards?

Hi Matt-g, welcome to the forum.
The mudguards are Crudracer Mk2, which were fitted by the dealer. They started to occasionally come into contact with the tyres, so were re-fitted by me (some of the fitting details weren't done correctly by the supplier). Since then, they've been trouble free, given the occasional little tweak. I had them fitted because I do occasional group rides and didn't want to spatter my fellow cyclists with road detritus, and I'm also not a fan of the 'streaky back' look on my own jersey either.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I went for the cube peloton race. £999, full 105, great wheel set. Aluminium frame , but feels light enough. My upgrade from a boardman road race.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thinking of getting the full carbon boardman, is this a wise move???
I would have said that the 1k aluminium framed bike they used to do but sadly the have removed it from the range, if you can afford to buy it out right or can find a good credit deal then many other brands now are offering good if not better spec .
eg
planet x carbon with ultegra
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT2/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-road-bike

Piemanpaul

Regular
I would have said that the 1k aluminium framed bike they used to do but sadly the have removed it from the range, if you can afford to buy it out right or can find a good credit deal then many other brands now are offering good if not better spec .
eg
planet x carbon with ultegra
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT2/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-road-bike
Thanks for the info, I was meaning to take a look at them, also I hear ribble are worth a look, no longer sure that full carbon is the way to go anymore, people seem to be heading back to aluminium, now I am confused:sad:(

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks for the info, I was meaning to take a look at them, also I hear ribble are worth a look, no longer sure that full carbon is the way to go anymore, people seem to be heading back to aluminium, now I am confused:sad:(
A good aluminium frame can be as good or better than an "entry " level carbon, it really depends what you want from a new bike and your budget , the £1300 boardman model got a best on test recently but the same price specialized allez c2 beat the cannondale caad 10 overall on spec and ride
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-race-c2-2014-road-bike-ec053066#features

Do you want 105 particularly or would you consider others or sram/ campag ?
Best advice is to test rides bikes in your budget range and see what suits you the best .

My first racer (after getting back into it) was a Boardman Race. Top machine and a great bargain too. The only thing I changed soon after I bought it was the brake pads (bit like cheese) and the tyres (prone to punctures). Other than that I had many miles of enjoyment out of it. Sold it on about 18 months ago, but I wish I'd kept it as a winter/turbo steed.
My first racer as well. I did keep mine as a winter bike. I found the tyres pretty damn good, not one puncture in 18 months (might be the French roads though). I also changed the brake pads, originals were rubbish. I have changed the stem for a shorter one, the seatpost for a carbon one (I can't tell the difference though) and the saddle.

Top Bottom