Boardman SLR 8.8 vs Orro Terra G 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
I love my alloy Orro especially since I put road tyres on it. To me it's very much a road bike not a gravel bike.

It gets quite a bit of attention as something a bit different, and the paint finish is superb; even after three years it has only one chip and gleams in the sun.

View attachment 630563
Nice setup! Good to know other cyclists are enjoying the Orro Terra!

DRM

Guru
Thanks all.

I test rode the Trek Domane AL 2 and the Orro Terra on the same day. The Orro felt slicker and generally more "roady" -- in fact, a sales rep at Orro just replied to me as follows: 'I would say the Terra G 105 is more of a road bike than a gravel bike so it sounds like it would be the right choice'. It has a reach/stack ratio of 1.48 and the 28c tyres... I'm definitely leaning towards the Orro.

After all this research it would be strange to buy a bike (the Boardman) without a test ride. The Orro is significantly more expensive, but I can buy it through Cyclescheme. Also, I was talking to my mate John. We've both only ever bought second-hand bikes. He said, if you're buying new, you might as well put in the extra ££ to get nice spec. Of course, this means maintaining the bike will be more expensive. Perhaps this is incentive to be more on it with home upkeep!

re: brakes, thanks @si_c and @vickster, I bet they'll feel a lot nicer once bedded in, anyhow.

I think the Orro is good VfM... I can get 105 on the Triban RC520 for cheaper, but the Orro was lighter and everything about it feels well made. It's a stunning bike.
I’d get the Orro it’s very similar to my Marin Gestalt 2, which is a more road oriented gravel bike, and has the same brakes which when set up are very good, the bike has actually been my go to bike for rides and is equally at home on bridleways, fire roads and Canal tow paths, in fact I’d seen an Orro but it was just out of budget, my Marin was an end of season bargain, only difference is mines Tiagra, the Orro in your link is 105, it’s a lovely looking bike

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I did look at the Planet X London Road but decided against the Sram 1x drivetrain. In general, Orro bikes seem well made. And the Terra is more of a road bike than a gravel bike, according to the LBS and the Orro sales rep I spoke to. With slicks it'll be fine for my purposes. Thank you
I have a London Road Ti, runs nicely on the road with 35mm tyres and can take up to around 40. I was slightly nervous about the X1 but so far haven’t really missed any gears and am yet to spin out on a downhill. Just seemed to represent great versitility and value for the 1500 I paid, they can be had for slightly less in a very recent sale, I think. Cannot recommend highly enough and it literally glides over most surfaces, super comfortable. Anyway the Orro is probably a very nice bike also, was just offering up an alternative suggestion. Good luck.

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
I have a London Road Ti, runs nicely on the road with 35mm tyres and can take up to around 40. I was slightly nervous about the X1 but so far haven’t really missed any gears and am yet to spin out on a downhill. Just seemed to represent great versitility and value for the 1500 I paid, they can be had for slightly less in a very recent sale, I think. Cannot recommend highly enough and it literally glides over most surfaces, super comfortable. Anyway the Orro is probably a very nice bike also, was just offering up an alternative suggestion. Good luck.
Your Planet X sounds like a lovely bike!

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
I’d get the Orro it’s very similar to my Marin Gestalt 2, which is a more road oriented gravel bike, and has the same brakes which when set up are very good, the bike has actually been my go to bike for rides and is equally at home on bridleways, fire roads and Canal tow paths, in fact I’d seen an Orro but it was just out of budget, my Marin was an end of season bargain, only difference is mines Tiagra, the Orro in your link is 105, it’s a lovely looking bike
The Marin Gestalt 2 is a lovely looking bike. I can't wait to get the Orro. I'm planning on buying a second cheap bike for all those London grocery runs, am thinking of a single speed to minimise maintenance. Thanks.

Reactions: DRM

rivers

How far can I go?
I have the Terra C (carbon version). The geometry and max tyre width definitely make the Terra C much more gravel oriented than the Terra G. However, the build quality is excellent, and I can't imagine the Terra G will be any different. And with a 35mm tyre clearance, you should be able to conquer a bit of light off-road. The Terra C replaced a Felt CX bike that was stolen. It also had a 35mm tyre clearance, and I took it on mtb trails, singletrack, gravel fire roads, etc and it coped for the most part (unless muddy).
If you did want to make the Terra G a bit more capable off road, a second set of knobbly 35mm tyres and swapping out the chainrings to 46/30 is doable, and wouldn't be too expensive if you can do the work yourself. The only bike available immediately in my size was the Terra C, and it was the more road oriented version (full 105, with compact 50/34 chainrings), and 32mm road tyres. By sheer luck, my felt was recovered, although the frame was trashed. However, I was able to knab the 46/30 chainset and wheels (which I had upgraded from stock) off of it. So I put a set of 40mm knobblies on the stock Orro wheels and swapped out the 105 chainset for the FSA 46/30 chainset from my felt. My old felt wheels already had a set of 32mm Pirelli Cinturato Velos for commuting on them so kept that set of wheels for road riding. It is a brilliant machine off-road, and equally brilliant on road.
Pic below at the start of my bikepacking trip last summer.
223511065_10100245547115075_4353448434919138382_n.jpg

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
I have the Terra C (carbon version). The geometry and max tyre width definitely make the Terra C much more gravel oriented than the Terra G. However, the build quality is excellent, and I can't imagine the Terra G will be any different. And with a 35mm tyre clearance, you should be able to conquer a bit of light off-road. The Terra C replaced a Felt CX bike that was stolen. It also had a 35mm tyre clearance, and I took it on mtb trails, singletrack, gravel fire roads, etc and it coped for the most part (unless muddy).
If you did want to make the Terra G a bit more capable off road, a second set of knobbly 35mm tyres and swapping out the chainrings to 46/30 is doable, and wouldn't be too expensive if you can do the work yourself. The only bike available immediately in my size was the Terra C, and it was the more road oriented version (full 105, with compact 50/34 chainrings), and 32mm road tyres. By sheer luck, my felt was recovered, although the frame was trashed. However, I was able to knab the 46/30 chainset and wheels (which I had upgraded from stock) off of it. So I put a set of 40mm knobblies on the stock Orro wheels and swapped out the 105 chainset for the FSA 46/30 chainset from my felt. My old felt wheels already had a set of 32mm Pirelli Cinturato Velos for commuting on them so kept that set of wheels for road riding. It is a brilliant machine off-road, and equally brilliant on road.
Pic below at the start of my bikepacking trip last summer.
View attachment 630949
This is a stunning setup! Interesting to hear that the Terra G and Terra C differ in geometry. Thanks

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not sure how they can call the Orro a gravel bike with 32m clearance only. Also seems pricey for an all alloy frame. The boardman is at least a fair bit cheaper but has a cheese made bb and chain set.

if you’re realistically just riding on tarmac I would probably be looking at pure road bikes although would want something that can handle 32m tyres. Have you looked at Planet X, better specced bikes for similar price to the Orro?

I would say 32 metres clearance allows for some pretty wide tyres.

rivers

How far can I go?
How would you interpret the geometry of the Terra G versus the Terra C? Here are some figures linked below. The Terra Gravel does look more road oriented:

https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=5f91f289d0cd180017f25bf4,608e94cf254e2c00287eabab,
There's not much in it looking at the overlay. The terra C is marginally more upright, but only very slightly. I was looking at the geometry of my size (XS), and the difference is greater than a medium (I really need to remember not every is vertically challenged). Both bikes in a medium size have an average stack/reach suitable for all road/adventure, whereas the XS Terra G has a somewhat aggressive stack and reach.

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
That's interesting, it sounds like the Terra C in XS is best for gravel. I'm looking forward to getting the fit right when my Terra G comes through - just waiting on Cyclescheme. The Medium felt lovely on the test ride.

Top Bottom