Boardman SLR 8.8 vs Orro Terra G 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycledreams

Regular
The bike search continues...

I live in London and spend 95% of the time on my bike commuting on tarmac. I've ridden my Specialized Allez into the ground and am looking for a new speedy bike with rear mounts. My budget is max £1300. I hadn't considered a gravel bike but stumbled across the Orro Terra G 105, was Wowed by its looks and build quality, and went for a test ride. Do you know anything about where this bike sits in the Gravel category? (It comes fitted with 28c tyres.) What are your thoughts on the Tektro MD-C550 mechanical disc brakes? (This seems like a down point.)

Should I just get a road bike, like a Boardman SLR 8.8 Alu Tiagra, given I barely ride on trails? The Boardman is a more affordable 'road bike' – my only beef is that Halfords won't allow you to test ride. Has anyone compared these bikes? Any sense of which would be more satisfying to ride long-term?

https://www.orrobikes.com/shop/2021-terra-g-105-fsa
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road...-road-bike-2021---s-m-l-xl-frames-365406.html

Thanks, Tom

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you've had a test ride and like it then buy it.

The only other consideration is how's your bank balance?

si_c

Guru
The Tektro brakes on the Orro are much better than those on the boardman - they appear to be a budget version of their more expensive TRP Spyre brakes, so dual sided actuation and independent pad control. Also 105 R7000 which is a reasonable upgrade over Tiagra, it shifts a bit better and is 11 speed and overall will be a bit lighter.

Only you can decide if it's worth the £500 extra; you say you've given the Orro a test ride, what did you think of it?

Edit to add: I wouldnt' worry about the brakes too much, you can always replace them if you find them lacking - with cable disc brakes this is actually very easy.

vickster

Legendary Member
28c tyres are pretty standard bike on road bikes these days so it sounds like Orro are aiming for the road market as much as the off road “gravel” crew. As above did it meet your needs on the test ride. Likely nothing wrong with the brakes, hydraulic would be an upgrade but spendy

si_c

Guru
28c tyres are pretty standard bike on road bikes these days so it sounds like Orro are aiming for the road market as much as the off road “gravel” crew. As above did it meet your needs on the test ride. Likely nothing wrong with the brakes, hydraulic would be an upgrade but spendy
It is an expensive upgrade, and for a commuter, not one I'm sure is worthwhile for everyone. I'm quite happy maintaining hydraulics, but not everyone is, swapping a cable is easy and cheap and doesn't require much beyond a pair of cable cutters in terms of equipment, so for a commuter is pretty ideal.

Joffey

Big Dosser
The bike search continues...

I live in London and spend 95% of the time on my bike commuting on tarmac. I've ridden my Specialized Allez into the ground and am looking for a new speedy bike with rear mounts. My budget is max £1300. I hadn't considered a gravel bike but stumbled across the Orro Terra G 105, was Wowed by its looks and build quality, and went for a test ride. Do you know anything about where this bike sits in the Gravel category? (It comes fitted with 28c tyres.) What are your thoughts on the Tektro MD-C550 mechanical disc brakes? (This seems like a down point.)

Should I just get a road bike, like a Boardman SLR 8.8 Alu Tiagra, given I barely ride on trails? The Boardman is a more affordable 'road bike' – my only beef is that Halfords won't allow you to test ride. Has anyone compared these bikes? Any sense of which would be more satisfying to ride long-term?

https://www.orrobikes.com/shop/2021-terra-g-105-fsa
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road...-road-bike-2021---s-m-l-xl-frames-365406.html

Thanks, Tom

The Orro looks lovely. If I had a choice between the two I'd buy that one.

si_c

Guru
The Orro looks lovely. If I had a choice between the two I'd buy that one.
That's just made me think. Worth considering where you will keep your bike at work, if you have secure cycle storage on-site then the Orro, if you're locking it to a lamp post in the street, then maybe the Boardman is a less risky option.

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
Thanks all.

I test rode the Trek Domane AL 2 and the Orro Terra on the same day. The Orro felt slicker and generally more "roady" -- in fact, a sales rep at Orro just replied to me as follows: 'I would say the Terra G 105 is more of a road bike than a gravel bike so it sounds like it would be the right choice'. It has a reach/stack ratio of 1.48 and the 28c tyres... I'm definitely leaning towards the Orro.

After all this research it would be strange to buy a bike (the Boardman) without a test ride. The Orro is significantly more expensive, but I can buy it through Cyclescheme. Also, I was talking to my mate John. We've both only ever bought second-hand bikes. He said, if you're buying new, you might as well put in the extra ££ to get nice spec. Of course, this means maintaining the bike will be more expensive. Perhaps this is incentive to be more on it with home upkeep!

re: brakes, thanks @si_c and @vickster, I bet they'll feel a lot nicer once bedded in, anyhow.

I think the Orro is good VfM... I can get 105 on the Triban RC520 for cheaper, but the Orro was lighter and everything about it feels well made. It's a stunning bike.

si_c

Guru
Thanks all.

I test rode the Trek Domane AL 2 and the Orro Terra on the same day. The Orro felt slicker and generally more "roady" -- in fact, a sales rep at Orro just replied to me as follows: 'I would say the Terra G 105 is more of a road bike than a gravel bike so it sounds like it would be the right choice'. It has a reach/stack ratio of 1.48 and the 28c tyres... I'm definitely leaning towards the Orro.

After all this research it would be strange to buy a bike (the Boardman) without a test ride. The Orro is significantly more expensive, but I can buy it through Cyclescheme. Also, I was talking to my mate John. We've both only ever bought second-hand bikes. He said, if you're buying new, you might as well put in the extra ££ to get nice spec. Of course, this means maintaining the bike will be more expensive. Perhaps this is incentive to be more on it with home upkeep!

re: brakes, thanks @si_c and @vickster, I bet they'll feel a lot nicer once bedded in, anyhow.

I think the Orro is good VfM... I can get 105 on the Triban RC520 for cheaper, but the Orro was lighter and everything about it feels well made. It's a stunning bike.
All the Orro bikes I've seen have looked really nice, and if you like the way it rides and the way it looks then that is what matters most. Cyclescheme definitely takes a bite out of the cost of things - I've used it for a number of years and with the limit removed on the scheme it's now better.

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
That's just made me think. Worth considering where you will keep your bike at work, if you have secure cycle storage on-site then the Orro, if you're locking it to a lamp post in the street, then maybe the Boardman is a less risky option.
This is a good point. I keep the bike in my office -- right next to my computer! I am out and about in London, though... However, I plan on getting cycle insurance to cover everything.

si_c

Guru
This is a good point. I keep the bike in my office -- right next to my computer! I am out and about in London, though... However, I plan on getting cycle insurance to cover everything.

You're really lucky to be able to keep your bike in the office!

Check your home contents insurance, it's often cheaper to use that if they let you specify the bike on the policy (although check their policy on leaving a bike unattended, there are usually criteria around lock choice). Make sure you budget for some decent locks too - personally I really get on well with Kryptonite locks, I have two New York locks I leave at the office and use an Evolution U lock which stays in my rucksack for when I'm nipping into a shop with a separate lightweight cable lock for the front wheel. I find that enough deterrent and more than satisfies the criteria for my home insurance to cover the loss.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Not sure how they can call the Orro a gravel bike with 32m clearance only. Also seems pricey for an all alloy frame. The boardman is at least a fair bit cheaper but has a cheese made bb and chain set.

if you’re realistically just riding on tarmac I would probably be looking at pure road bikes although would want something that can handle 32m tyres. Have you looked at Planet X, better specced bikes for similar price to the Orro?

All uphill

Still rolling along
I love my alloy Orro especially since I put road tyres on it. To me it's very much a road bike not a gravel bike.

It gets quite a bit of attention as something a bit different, and the paint finish is superb; even after three years it has only one chip and gleams in the sun.

OP
OP
cycledreams

cycledreams

Regular
Not sure how they can call the Orro a gravel bike with 32m clearance only. Also seems pricey for an all alloy frame. The boardman is at least a fair bit cheaper but has a cheese made bb and chain set.

if you’re realistically just riding on tarmac I would probably be looking at pure road bikes although would want something that can handle 32m tyres. Have you looked at Planet X, better specced bikes for similar price to the Orro?
I did look at the Planet X London Road but decided against the Sram 1x drivetrain. In general, Orro bikes seem well made. And the Terra is more of a road bike than a gravel bike, according to the LBS and the Orro sales rep I spoke to. With slicks it'll be fine for my purposes. Thank you

Top Bottom