Boardman SLR 8.9 vs Ribble Endurace al (105) - are hydraulic brakes worth an extra £220?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We can disagree.

I can, however, assure you my descents were not "slow".

I have done several alpine [road] trips with rim-brakes. I always carry AT LEAST two spare rims.

Those guys riding Le Tour etc back in the Ancient Times (20th century), they were heroes. On every descent they would bounce along a verge at least every km to scrub off speed, anything to minimise rim-wear and avoid a mid-race rim-swap!

DogmaStu

We can disagree.

I can, however, assure you my descents were not "slow".

👍 :biggrin:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If that's your experience, cool, we'll just disagree. :smile:

I love my Wilier Zero6 rim-brake bike. I've literally, only yesterday, taken delivery of a brand new set of light carbon hoops for it so that I can run tubeless. I've ordered Extralite chainrings for it. I have a new cassette, new chain and new batteries for the electronic shifting - so I'm still investing in my rim-brake bike. It's a 6kg marvel, very responsive, fast accelerating, comfortable for 200km+ rides and is a joy to climb with. I have also won races on it and half my KOM's were taken training on it.

However...

I don't know a single athlete I race against who finds rim brakes to match disc for stopping power. GCN and other's have done their own testing (you can find the vids) and draw the same conclusion.

We benefitted from disc far sooner in MTB racing since they are proven more effective for sharp descents and corners. The disc brakes modulate better. The same has been proven for road racing too.

No one is suggesting rim brakes do not stop us - modulated correctly with good pads, they work well and I started racing in the 1980's and did so at National Elite level. I've descended climbs in mountains at 100km/h on rim brakes. Discs are just better. On rim I am braking a lot sooner - and therefore scrubbing speed - than I would need to on disc. That's the point.

But...if you ride slowly, then sure, you'll not notice the difference as much - and I like to ride slowly too, taking in the scenery.
It's obvious that this disc v rim thing is something you can't be too dogmatic about Stu.

TomDW

Just as a side note to the original question. My mate recently bought the rim brake SLR 8.9 from Halfords and has taken it back 3 times and ultimately got their money back. We think it was an ill fitting bottom bracket creating a klonking sound. 3 frames were built all with the same problem.

Top Bottom