Boardman SLR 8.9 vs Ribble Endurace al (105) - are hydraulic brakes worth an extra £220?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Discs come into their own when using carbon rims on wet roads but also if you are cycling 'fast'. By 'fast' I mean above 18-20mph a lot.

If you intend to cruise about at only 15mph or so then the difference between discs and a good set of rim brakes is less noticeable.

Above 20mph, discs become exponentially better than rim brakes in my experience - the faster you go, modulating discs will be more effective than modulating rim brakes.

One of my bikes has rim brakes and I used to think it stopped me really well - as I did with all my previous bikes - but my disc-braked bikes inspire much greater confidence at speed, they do work noticeably better when hurtling down S-bends at high speed and I can begin to brake far later going into corners.

Having done descents of 800m and 1800m on discs and rims respectively this summer, I would respectfully disagree.

roubaixtuesday

Wet grit and heavy rim braking are not good companions... :whistle:

Agree, as per my very first post on the thread...

unless you're doing lots of wet miles (ie commuting) and/or want mudguard clearance, rim brakes are a better choice regardless of price

It’s mentioned here that discs are better than rim in the wet on carbon, that’s because the later practically doesn’t work at all vs the other which is not affected in the slightest. The difference for that quoted example Is huge, my estimate that carbon/rim/wet is 4-5x the stopping distance of disc in the same conditions, fairly dramatic.

I brought the Ribble cgr as a winter bike - and boy is it heavy !

Sure discs are nice - and I wouldn't go back to rim brakes myself. But if you are limited by budget I'd go for the Boardman - rim brakes served us well for years and have the advantage of being simple to maintain.

I had my legs ripped off in a sportive this week by a bloke on a cgr. I dread to think how fast he would have been on his summer bike.

DogmaStu

Having done descents of 800m and 1800m on discs and rims respectively this summer, I would respectfully disagree.

If that's your experience, cool, we'll just disagree. :smile:

I love my Wilier Zero6 rim-brake bike. I've literally, only yesterday, taken delivery of a brand new set of light carbon hoops for it so that I can run tubeless. I've ordered Extralite chainrings for it. I have a new cassette, new chain and new batteries for the electronic shifting - so I'm still investing in my rim-brake bike. It's a 6kg marvel, very responsive, fast accelerating, comfortable for 200km+ rides and is a joy to climb with. I have also won races on it and half my KOM's were taken training on it.

However...

I don't know a single athlete I race against who finds rim brakes to match disc for stopping power. GCN and other's have done their own testing (you can find the vids) and draw the same conclusion.

We benefitted from disc far sooner in MTB racing since they are proven more effective for sharp descents and corners. The disc brakes modulate better. The same has been proven for road racing too.

No one is suggesting rim brakes do not stop us - modulated correctly with good pads, they work well and I started racing in the 1980's and did so at National Elite level. I've descended climbs in mountains at 100km/h on rim brakes. Discs are just better. On rim I am braking a lot sooner - and therefore scrubbing speed - than I would need to on disc. That's the point.

But...if you ride slowly, then sure, you'll not notice the difference as much - and I like to ride slowly too, taking in the scenery.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

If that's your experience, cool, we'll just disagree. :smile:

I love my Wilier Zero6 rim-brake bike. I've literally, only yesterday, taken delivery of a brand new set of light carbon hoops for it so that I can run tubeless. I've ordered Extralite chainrings for it. I have a new cassette, new chain and new batteries for the electronic shifting - so I'm still investing in my rim-brake bike. It's a 6kg marvel, very responsive, fast accelerating, comfortable for 200km+ rides and is a joy to climb with. I have also won races on it and half my KOM's were taken training on it.

However...

I don't know a single athlete I race against who finds rim brakes to match disc for stopping power. GCN and other's have done their own testing (you can find the vids) and draw the same conclusion.

We benefitted from disc far sooner in MTB racing since they are proven more effective for sharp descents and corners. The disc brakes modulate better. The same has been proven for road racing too.

No one is suggesting rim brakes do not stop us - modulated correctly with good pads, they work well and I started racing in the 1980's and did so at National Elite level. I've descended climbs in mountains at 100km/h on rim brakes. Discs are just better. On rim I am braking a lot sooner - and therefore scrubbing speed - than I would need to on disc. That's the point.

But...if you ride slowly, then sure, you'll not notice the difference as much - and I like to ride slowly too, taking in the scenery.

We can disagree.

I can, however, assure you my descents were not "slow".

Alex321

Veteran
AS others have said (and is very obvious from the overall responses), it is very much a personal preference thing.

MY personal preference is very strongly in favour of disc brakes, but I ride in all weathers, with a fair amount of hills involved, and including a 15 miles each way commute twice a week.

In the dry, the out and out stopping power is not much different, but I personally find it easier to control and less effort with disc brakes. In the wet, it is no contest.

Top Bottom