Boardman SLR 8.9c Brake Upgrade advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saintmiko

Hi all I'm looking at upgrading my Boardman SLR 8.9c brakes from the Tektro R315 long arm. Has anyone done this and does anyone have any recommendations. Was looking at Shimano 105.

Person

I recently upgraded from tektro calipers to shimano 105 br-r7000 on my boardman team carbon. The front caliper came with 4 different sized bolts to fix into the fork (what is that Allen key tightening bolt called).

They also came with r55c4 pads which cost a fortune these days.

You should definitely upgrade on a great bike like yours.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
When i upgraded my brakes on the team carbon from tektro to match the rest of the groupset it was a lot better brake wise .
BTW if you decide to sell the tektros let me know i am looking for some long reach ones for my ribble build as the old ones i have circa 10 years old the QR cam no longer works so i need to deflate the tyre to get it out .

Lovacott

Über Member
Hi all I'm looking at upgrading my Boardman SLR 8.9c brakes from the Tektro R315 long arm. Has anyone done this and does anyone have any recommendations. Was looking at Shimano 105.
I was out on my SLR 8.9 this morning and I've got to say that I love everything about the factory fitted controls on the bike. Everything is responsive and works as it should.

What is your reason for wanting to upgrade?

cyberknight

I was out on my SLR 8.9 this morning and I've got to say that I love everything about the factory fitted controls on the bike. Everything is responsive and works as it should.

What is your reason for wanting to upgrade?
the tektros although they work dont have as much power or modulation as the shimano ones i fitted

Ting Foley

Hi Saintmiko have you been able to upgrade these? ive just bought the 2020 SLR 8.9c myself and wanted to swap the tektro with 105's however after doing some research i think the only ones compatible are long arm shimano's with a 57mm drop. Ideally i want to install the BR7000 series but im not sure if they are compatible with the bike.

Cycle-mania

the tektros although they work dont have as much power or modulation as the shimano ones i fitted
Hi , I have just bought a 2nd hand SLR 8.9 and tried to upgrade the tektro's with Shimano 105 calipers but unfortunately , they were not long reach! :sad:. The only ones that Shimano currently do that fit are the Shimano BR-R451calipers? Are these the same ones that you upgraded to please ?

cyberknight

Hi , I have just bought a 2nd hand SLR 8.9 and tried to upgrade the tektro's with Shimano 105 calipers but unfortunately , they were not long reach! :sad:. The only ones that Shimano currently do that fit are the Shimano BR-R451calipers? Are these the same ones that you upgraded to please ?
i fitted tiagra so yes the br 451s

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I replaced the original tekros with some TRP R957 Long Drop Brakes that were being sold on eBay for £110 at the time; much better breaking performance in my opinion.

Top Bottom