Boardman T700 carbon frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Only skip read this as I am (supposed to be working).

T700 carbon - T = Toray (Torayca) - 700 = Modulus (grade of carbon).

My Sintesi is T800 - both frame & fork (some brands will use lower grade carbon on the fork than the frame).

Good news - Toray, one of the top 2 manufacturers of carbon (if not the top) Worldwide.

Toray manufacture 65HM1K for the Pinnerello Dogma used by Team Sky & Team Movistar in the Pro Peloton so can't be to shabby eh ?

Edit T700 is just fine & will be good quality carbon - just slightly lower in the chain than 800 & will have been specced to hit a price point.

The higher the cost of the raw carbon materials the pricier the frame & so on.

A lot of stuff you wrote there, however the quality of the carbon fibre is not the only issue with carbon constructions, the method in which the carbon is laid up and the resin used etc will have considerable impact. Lower end frames may share the same fibre as high end frames, but they often do not share the same layup techniques etc. Hence there is a vast difference.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Oh my mind is practically made up on that Cube, yes full 105 and I`ve seen one in the flesh but in that horrid ( not too everyones taste ) red white and blue. Not keen on the Defy, looked a bit too meh :tongue:
Oooh - young man !

How very dare you !!

Horrid - Red - White & Blue !!!

They are the colours of the Union Jack my friend & therefore the mightiest of all colour combo's.

Also the colour of my current bike (a real stunner & a keeper) - well I say that, the red is quite dark - leaning towards burgandy - like a lovely knitted cardigan.

Good choice anyway - you will hence have no requirement to be named Grumpy.

Enjoy your new steed whatever it may be.

Mine (+1) will be the Red - White & Blue Cube Peloton Race

Hoorah !!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
A lot of stuff you wrote there, however the quality of the carbon fibre is not the only issue with carbon constructions, the method in which the carbon is laid up and the resin used etc will have considerable impact. Lower end frames may share the same fibre as high end frames, but they often do not share the same layup techniques etc. Hence there is a vast difference.
Spot on - yes.

There has been quite a few large & in depth articles on this subject in mags such as Cycling Plus (U.K) & U.S publication Road Bike Review. .
Head honchos from the likes of Cervelo - Giant - Trek et al have been interviewed & all share a common belief (as you described) that the lay up, resin quality & fibre quality etc are what define a good carbon frame.

In the case of Pinerello's Dogma 65HM1K for example it is suggested that very small areas (% of total area) of the frame will be this VHM (Very High Modulus) - simply far too expensive in material costs inc the best resin it requires.

So yeah - your point is good & when I describe my bike as T800 frame & fork, it is most probably a % area of the whole as a manufacturer can claim a frame to be HM T800 even if it is only a small part of the bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom