Boardman team carbon-halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

10bobbyderby

Hi,
Is anyone else having problems with team carbon bottom bracket? Mine was squeaking had it fixed 3 times in two months then on the 4th time halfords gave me a new bike only for the same problem to reoccur! They replaced it with an aluminium bottom bracket (apparently better quality) which didn't even last a week.

Hutch118

My sons had the same problem with his, it's been back twice now. He's not very happy..

ianbak

Mine behaved perfectly too (for around 1,000 miles or so - I then swapped it out as part of an Ultegra groupset upgrade, but not because there was anything wrong with it).

OP
OP

10bobbyderby

My sons had the same problem with his, it's been back twice now. He's not very happy..
Is your son a big lad? I'm about 18 stone and think that is the problem. I must say halfords have been great they have already given me a new bike but since it happen on the new one they now giving me a full refund!! Also it's a brilliant bike except for the bottom bracket..

Is your son a big lad? I'm about 18 stone and think that is the problem. I must say halfords have been great they have already given me a new bike but since it happen on the new one they now giving me a full refund!! Also it's a brilliant bike except for the bottom bracket..

WHAT:ohmy:!
Years ago I had a recurring problem with the rear wheel bearings in a Carrera Valour. It was my 1st ever road bike. After going back several times I had to fight them hard to get my refund. They were really stubborn bastards so Im surprised they not only let you try a new bike, but refunded you aswell. I ended up buying a Claud Butler San Remo which suffered absolutely no issues. (Why do I NEVER see Claud Butlers about?)

OP
OP

10bobbyderby

WHAT:ohmy:!
Years ago I had a recurring problem with the rear wheel bearings in a Carrera Valour. It was my 1st ever road bike. After going back several times I had to fight them hard to get my refund. They were really stubborn bastards so Im surprised they not only let you try a new bike, but refunded you aswell. I ended up buying a Claud Butler San Remo which suffered absolutely no issues. (Why do I NEVER see Claud Butlers about?)

OP
OP

10bobbyderby

I have had many bikes over the years and claud butler remains one of my favourites I still have a CB touring bike and never lets me down. Dawes, specialized, giant and of course boardman. I find giant is the best and with my refund from halfords I've ordered the giant revolt 1. Can't wait to take it out I must admit halfords have been excellent customer service and can't fault them.

OP
OP

10bobbyderby

Halfords have clearly moved on from years ago and realise the power of social media and cycle forums so they will do whatever it takes to gain a good reputation

I have had many bikes over the years and claud butler remains one of my favourites I still have a CB touring bike and never lets me down. Dawes, specialized, giant and of course boardman. I find giant is the best and with my refund from halfords I've ordered the giant revolt 1. Can't wait to take it out I must admit halfords have been excellent customer service and can't fault them.

I do far more mileage commuting on my restored Giant SCR 1.0 than I do on my tidy road bike costing more than twice as much. Might wanna get rid of any seatpost that requires a spacer. IME it caused major creaking issues that seemed to be a feature on SCRs.

david k

Hi
Hi,
Is anyone else having problems with team carbon bottom bracket? Mine was squeaking had it fixed 3 times in two months then on the 4th time halfords gave me a new bike only for the same problem to reoccur! They replaced it with an aluminium bottom bracket (apparently better quality) which didn't even last a week.

Had the same issue with my CX team. Had two bbs fitted and then they ordered the aluminium one, the person at halfords said they use a tool to tighten it, if you tighten it too much or. It exactly square it starts to sqeak. He said he hardly put any pressure on with the newest bb and it has worked so far

adamangler

Veteran
I work at hellfrauds

we have loads of problems with BB on boardmans, no idea why as the parts are generic sram/shimano and the frames are generally good so feck knows why

I agree with Citius. There is very little weather protection for the flimsy bearings in the BB30 design. I replaced mine with Campagnolo and there are cups around the bearings. The problem is basically, that you can't thread carbon fibre. The solutions are either a press fit into an aluminium sleeve (not much better) or make a sandwich with cups around the bearings.

Top Bottom