Boat race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Which horse won it?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A bit of of a non contest this year, especially as the Cambridge No2 nearly fell out of the boat after missing his stroke. They never made any progress back to Oxford after that.

screenman

Legendary Member
You cannot choose your parents, but you should make the most of what you have, I think we would most agree with that. The guys doing the rowing are doing just that.

ASC1951

Guru
[QUOTE 3015201, member: 1314"]How can you fall out of the boat?[/QUOTE]Racing Eights are very long, very narrow and you are only held in by your bootstraps.

In the sunlit days of my youth in <cough> 1968 I did consider 'training up' for the College Third Boat before discovering that caving was much more fun and got you well away from the town. But the First Boats took it all very seriously and the Blues oarsmen were proper high-end athletes.

It is an odd thing- why does it get so much attention? A bunch of students rowing! Even if it were England v Germany rowing it would not be of interest to anyone.

Some odd British things are quite endearing but this is not one of them.

tdm

Über Member
They're called "ejector crabs". Video examples below:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH2k_026KrY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XfSr2foKjQ

If your oar goes into the water at the beginning of the stroke (the catch) at a funny angle the movement of the water will push the handle into your chest and it you can't get under it, you'll just get pushed out of the boat. The guy it the 1st video caught the "crab" because of poor technique. I think the guy in the second video was adjusting his shoes or something and let his oar dig into the water.

From what I saw the rower at the 2 seat in the Cambridge boat was unlucky and someone from the Oxford crew clashed oars with him at a very unfortunate moment just before he was taking the catch which caused him to lose control and catch a "crab".

Top Bottom