Bob Jackson Audax Club tyre clearance (28?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srb88

Hi there,

I'm close to pressing 'go' on a Bob Jackson Audax club frame and asking this question in a few places in hope of an answer.

While it's nominally a mudguard bike, I'm speccing it as a summer bike with oversized tubing, no mudguard or rack eyelets, hoping to run 28mm tyres.

I've gone for this over the Olympus Road - their typical summer racer, as the Audax Club is described as taking 25mm tyres with mudguards and normal reach brakes, while the Olympus Road is 25mm with no guards. My current bike takes 28mm tyres with normal brakes (Ultegra) but is being replaced as frame's a bit big.

They have advised this is achieved by having slightly longer chainstays and suggested would be the wiser choice if I want more clearance than the Olympus Road offers.

So, does anyone have an Audax Club and tried 28mm tyres? (without guards)

Cheers!

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi there,

I'm close to pressing 'go' on a Bob Jackson Audax club frame and asking this question in a few places in hope of an answer.

While it's nominally a mudguard bike, I'm speccing it as a summer bike with oversized tubing, no mudguard or rack eyelets, hoping to run 28mm tyres.

I've gone for this over the Olympus Road - their typical summer racer, as the Audax Club is described as taking 25mm tyres with mudguards and normal reach brakes, while the Olympus Road is 25mm with no guards. My current bike takes 28mm tyres with normal brakes (Ultegra) but is being replaced as frame's a bit big.

They have advised this is achieved by having slightly longer chainstays and suggested would be the wiser choice if I want more clearance than the Olympus Road offers.

So, does anyone have an Audax Club and tried 28mm tyres? (without guards)

Cheers!

They are custom frame builders, cant you spec it to take larger tyres? I would never consider a frame that couldn't take 40mm tyres, nothing nicer than large volume tyres=speed and comfort

OP
OP
S

srb88

They are custom frame builders, cant you spec it to take larger tyres? I would never consider a frame that couldn't take 40mm tyres, nothing nicer than large volume tyres=speed and comfort

Yes and no - they only do 'off the peg' at the moment, which I quite like - it's a slightly cheaper, utilitarian way of getting something handbuilt quite locally fairy promptly. They will make small alterations, providing it's not changing the standard geometry etc. They have suggested using oval rather than round stays to increase clearance, though from an engineering point of view, rounder is stiffer. It depends how oval they're talking. 40mm tyres would require significantly longer chainstays, possibly with some indentation/shaping - I agree this can make for a nice, comfy stable ride, but not what I'm after in this case.

I'm happy with 28mm max for this bike - it's to be my fast, 'light-ish' bike - I've other bikes with wider tyres, guards and rack mounts. TBH 25mm is probably fine too, but having used 28mm on my current 'summer' road bike the benefits are noticeable.

Top Bottom