Bodge a freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangid

Guru
Stopped to offer assistance to a chap pushing his bike. Freewheel ratchet wasn't engaging, "ahh, bugger, sorry no idea :-(".

Is there any bodge that will get you home ?

Nibor

Bewildered
When I was a kid I had a frre wheel like that and worked out that when it happened if I tipped the bike on its side on the ground it re-engaged.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Had similar happen to me recently, somebody on here advised you can use cable ties to fix the freewheel through the spokes. I always carry a few ties and if I had known this wouldn't have to call out Mrs W to come and pick me up!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Had similar happen to me recently, somebody on here advised you can use cable ties to fix the freewheel through the spokes. I always carry a few ties and if I had known this wouldn't have to call out Mrs W to come and pick me up!

This^^. Never had to do it, but keep cable ties in the saddle bag just in case. It does mean riding fixed all the way home, and I'm not sure I'd want to push too hard as you are relying on the spokes to transfer the power which they are not really designed for.

Sharky

Guru
Similar solution to the cable ties - I made it home by using a leather toe strap wrapped round the cassette and the spokes. Just made it home before it ripped apart.

A long time ago, it happened to a club mate when we were on a club run. He put his hand on my shoulder and I towed him home for the last 10 miles or so.

si_c

Guru
This^^. Never had to do it, but keep cable ties in the saddle bag just in case. It does mean riding fixed all the way home, and I'm not sure I'd want to push too hard as you are relying on the spokes to transfer the power which they are not really designed for.

Spokes do transfer power, that's how it gets transferred to the rim from the hub, so whilst it may be less than ideal to use ties to connect a cassette to the spokes, it will certainly work long enough to get to somewhere in an emergency, a train station for example.

OP
OP
mangid

mangid

Guru
Thx all !

Cable ties, and I have a supply in the toolbag as well.

Oh well, I'll know for next time.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Spokes do transfer power, that's how it gets transferred to the rim from the hub, so whilst it may be less than ideal to use ties to connect a cassette to the spokes, it will certainly work long enough to get to somewhere in an emergency, a train station for example.

Indeed, I should have included 'in the way that they are designed for'

Salar

A fish out of water
Normal bike spokes transfer loads, but only in tension. If any compression or side loads are put on them they will buckle.

I suppose the bodge works somehow for a short period as it will be restraining the end of the spoke to the freewheel..

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A couple of us stopped to help a rider with an over-free freehub problem. We used multiple cable ties on it and it seemed to be working so we rode on and left him. We saw him hours later at the finish. The bodge had only lasted a few miles. In the end he hitched a lift back.

I wonder if raising the back wheel of the bike and dropping it while applying tension to the chain might knock the hub pawls back into position and lock them there? If so, then you'd have to keep the bike in a high gear and keep on pedalling, but it might work?

Top Bottom