Boiler Experts, loud random buzz on fire up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I wont be touching the gas side, although I did clean the pilot/ignition a few years back. I've already had the solenoid off, but the ones available seem to be the solenoid only and not the fitting and 'valve' pusher thingy (none technical term).

I'm one of those that likes to know what it is before calling in an expert. It's just so random (and loud) it damn well won't do it when they turn up, and you can't get it to buzz again even switching temp up to fire again.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I wont be touching the gas side, although I did clean the pilot/ignition a few years back. I've already had the solenoid off, but the ones available seem to be the solenoid only and not the fitting and 'valve' pusher thingy (none technical term).

I'm one of those that likes to know what it is before calling in an expert. It's just so random (and loud) it damn well won't do it when they turn up, and you can't get it to buzz again even switching temp up to fire again.

Old relay warming up maybe.

Silly one, heat exchanger on its way out?

Ours made a high pitch noise when firing up and then would stop, assume that the small hole or whatever it was, closed up once warm, however you could hear the noise inside and outside the house which is what pointed to it as it was amplified by the flue outside.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Silly one, heat exchanger on its way out?

Ours made a high pitch noise when firing up and then would stop, assume that the small hole or whatever it was, closed up once warm, however you could hear the noise inside and outside the house which is what pointed to it as it was amplified by the flue outside.

No, did think that in the summer for a different issue but it was kettling, that was fixed by flushing out all the old water and re-filling the header tank with inhbitor and anti kettle - it's actually running really well, super quiet, the fan is quiet, and there are no knocks, fizzing or bangs from the system. The pump is also running well. It's just at the point of firing that this random buzz starts. It's not done it today ! It makes you jump it's that loud.

Top Bottom