Boiler Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Boiler was making horrific noises last night and has given up, I've got home emergency cover so am calling them first but does anyone have any recommendations of boilers/companies in the West Yorks/Kirklees area?

I'm not in a position to spend a lot so am just looking for a replacement and not any significant upgrades, cheers!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Received wisdom is that Vaillant are best, followed by either Worcester Bosch or Glow-worm.

Personally, I've found Ideal to be very reliable but British Gas don't like them and my experience seems to be atypical.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might find yourself eligible for a grant. Check with your local authority.
I had one installed in my house in UK last year and it was around £3000 I think from an independent contractor.
All new boilers have to be the condenser type now.

tom73

Guru
Worth remembering often deals on boilers are for the smaller sized ones. Which often don't work well with more than a handful of rads or when running any decent about of hot water.

Avoid Yorkshire gas they did most of the work on our house and workmanship is pretty poor.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Cheers for all replies, have tried a few DIY fixes and its definately beyond my knowledge. I can live without hot water for a few days and have an oil filled radiator to get by with.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
You might find yourself eligible for a grant. Check with your local authority.
I had one installed in my house in UK last year and it was around £3000 I think from an independent contractor.
All new boilers have to be the condenser type now.

I've done a few checks and don't believe I am but was worth knowing about cheers.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Don't pay a premium for Bosch Worcester boilers, they are not the well built units they used to be and have very much been engineered down to a price by the bean counters in recent years. Lots of parts made from cheap materials that perish & fail IME. Plastics used in place of metal and components degrading badly within 6-7 years. My BW boiler started leaking shortly after the 5yr warranty and when trying to replace o-rings it was found that the components themselves were turning to dust. Cheap nasty parts made to last just long enough to get through the warranty period

I'm not saying this is any worse than the other brands, but it definitely isn't worth paying a premium for any perceived quality advantage you might associate with the BW brand.

Talk to your gas engineer, they will know what is reliable and fixable.

bruce1530

Guru
A friend who is a self-employed gas installer (and subcontractor to British Gas, although the price he charges for a job is usually much less than the BG price) used to only install Worcester Bosch. He's now started offering Ideal as well - says they aren't as good as Bosch, but generally "good enough" and he can install one of them with a 5 year guarantee for several hundred pounds less than a WorcesterBosch.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
I've got a local coming on Tues for me, oddly he wouldn't recommend Valiant and instead has convinced me on a Baxi.

Just bought some thermals to wear under my normal stuff, have also got an oil filled radiator to heat one room.

I'll be boiling some water tomorrow for a wash, don't fancy a cold shower at all!

PK99

Legendary Member
Our 12 year old BG branded boiler failed its annual service check and was tagged "unsafe do not use" a few weeks ago. Failed seal at the back. Contractor said most companies would condem and recommend new boiler. But BG carry spares and he was back the next day. Full strip down, seal replaced, other bits and bobs sorted in the process. Took over 1/2 day

Zero cost. All covered by BG annual cover.

Top Bottom