England : Greater Manchester Bolton Bash sunday 20th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hi guys/girls,

Still pondering over whether or not to do this sportive.

Heart says yes, but as my team Leigh Centurions RLFC have a vital play off match at 3 p.m, logistically my head says no. *what if I have a major mechanical & miss the match* Aaaaah.

Anyway, I could do the short 35m - "It'll be reet" route but not the 60m "Ecky Thump" route I wanted to do.

Any North West souls headed over Bolton way for this one ?

*Starts at Smithills school near Smithills Hall* & has some nasty climbing.

Katherine

Guru
I didn't know about it. I'll check it out.

Boopop

Guru
Hi guys/girls,
Any North West souls headed over Bolton way for this one ?

Born in Blackpool but living in Bedfordshire...does that still count as a "North West Soul"? ^_^

My sister's still living up north in Bolton so I intend to sign up this evening for the 60~ mile route. Looking at Strava for the previous year's route it looks a bit hilly! I'll be donning my green club jersey while I'm taking part. Not sure what bike I'll bring yet but it'll be red regardless!

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Born in Blackpool but living in Bedfordshire...does that still count as a "North West Soul"? ^_^

My sister's still living up north in Bolton so I intend to sign up this evening for the 60~ mile route. Looking at Strava for the previous year's route it looks a bit hilly!
yes you qualify as a NW soul...

I didn't enter the event last year but walked up one of the hills to watch a might ride by & that was tough enough.
Googled that section & IIRC it came up as being 20+ % *maybe 24%* at it's steepest point.

It was at that point I saw front & rear derailleurs catastrophically fail & a few wobbly off's too. Not mocking any of them as I would probably have been one of them myself had I had the cajones to do it.

Pay day tomorrow so probably sign for the 35m then.

Boopop

Guru
Just re Googled that climb...

Starting out from Ramsbottom & finishing near Holcombe Brook the Rake is just short of 1km *about 875m* long with a 12% Average gradient & a 23% Maximum gradient

Just looked up the rake...it's a bit daunting! Will be interesting to see if I can get up it. Of course I got preoccupied this evening so at this rate I'll be booking on Wednesday :3

Tom B

Guru
How did you do.... The 35mile route is a recreational ride route.....

The rake is in my commute on feeling fit days. You need to learn it and make friends with it.

Katherine

Guru
Yeah, I was wondering how you did too?
I didn't go, but I'd like to another year. I'd been too busy on Friday evening and Saturday with family stuff, just had a quick ride on Sunday.

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hi @Tom B & @Katherine

I did the 60m route as a late change to plans *match day changed to Saturday*

I was completely unprepared, physically & mentally & considered giving up & taking a flatter route back when I got to near Blackburn Ewood Park area & again at Chorley & again near Rivington Barn, but something just told me to follow the others.

A lot of climbing on this one ...
Maybe I will be better next year.

I was passed very quickly on Sheep House Lane by a Team GB girl *I think it was Emma Rawson* on a TT bike.

I would say I suffered it more than enjoyed it but put it all down to a lack of fitness & miles in the saddle.

Definitely do it again.. 5hrs 10m & pushed the bike several times.

Top Bottom