Bonjour from south of France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

veloman

Bonjour everyone,

Took up cycling again (after a 25 year gap) following a move to France. Really just so as my then 7 year old son would have a sport to do on Wednesday afternoons (no school on Wednesdays here so children are free to do whatever sport or activity they choose). This escalated and ended up with me helping to start a junior mountain biking club, we now have about 40 members.

Since then my daughter has started riding too and we have all additionally taken up road cycling; there really is nothing like cycling down quite rural roads through the vineyards on a summers evening. This has led to racing and culminated this year with both son and daugter being selected to represent the county in the French Championships for both road AND mountain biking.

Tootling through the fields has now changed into my kids racing me up the local cols (ohh, how I wish I was their weight, at least I beat them on the descents) and maintaining a fleet of mountain and road bikes.

I have been looking for a friendly cycling forum (in English) for a while to ask all those maintenance and training questions I keep coming up with. Similarly if anyone has any questions about cycling in France feel free to get in touch.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Bonjour veloman

Bienvenue to the forums! :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You have just come on here to make us jealous haven't you ... :biggrin: it sounds absolutely idyllic and I wish I was there. Where abouts in France are you? Do you recommend your area for cycle touring? I've never explored France other than a couple of trip as a child and keep meaning to.

On a grey damp day here, the idea of cycling through vineyards is just too tempting.

jay clock

Massive member
Salut et bienvenu! I lived there for a few years but sadly at a time when I was into motorbike, eating too much and helping with three young kids

OP
OP
veloman

veloman

Salut everybody,

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

We are centred in a triangle between, Montpellier, Ales and Nimes, just on the edge of the Cevennes so lots of hilly riding but generally quiet roads. On a clear day I can see Ventoux in the distance. It is also normally very dry and rocky for mountain biking (read lots of pinch punctures before discovering tubeless tyres).

As for cycle touring 'SUMMERDAYS' it's not something I have had the opportunity to try but those in the know round here recommend the Canal du Midi. It is 150 miles long with lots of camp-sites and Gites along its route.

Top Bottom