Bonjour!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Hover Fly said:
I've just come home to pack the last of my things (lathe, milling machine, cat) then from the end of September I'm a full time French resident, 30km southeast of Bordeaux.
Don't forget the white flag, you never know, well you do want to fit in with the yokels :biggrin:

yenrod

Heh Yello - all the best BUT its a bit flat aint it....:biggrin:

Pete

Well, the house two doors from us is still on the market* at some 160,000 euros and not likely to move fast. Pity. Nothing wrong with the house (well not by ancient French village house standards anyway) but it's a buyer's market at the moment...

Arch said:
Dang it, I bet you're spoken for as well, aren't you...:biggrin:
Er... if I read the body language right Arch (how can I read the 'body language'? I've never even met you!) - errmmm there's not exactly much going, along those lines, amongst the wrinklies and crinklies in the expat community, and most of the French jeunes mecs make for the cities before they're out of their teens... There is an elderly (?in his 60s) Dutchman living alone in the next house beyond the one on offer, he's a sweetie but I reckon he's not your type Arch xx(:biggrin::biggrin:

*ref.470727

Wogan

You lucky devil!

You'll be pleased to hear that they've finally filled in *that* pothole on the southeast corner of Regent's Park outer circle. Just in time for you leaving too...

Think of me navigating my way up Marylebone High St on a damp, dark Friday evening as you glide along the sunflower-lined roads. And laugh. :biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
Glad your settled and enjoying life yello, not sure the wife and mistress thing should be followed too vigorously.........................on the other hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got to get to France, Got to get to France, Got to get to France, Got to get to France, Got to get to France, Got to get to France, Got to get to France, Got to get to France, Got to get to France, Got to get to France, Got to get to France, Got to get to France.....................Yep Ive been looking at those estate agents too!!!!

OP
OP
Y

yello

Yes, I guess it's flat around here - by Alps standards. I'd class it as rolling rather than flat. My morning's hour ride is around 300m of climbing, averaging around 3% and maxing 8%. Hardly stuff of legend, it's true, but beats the Regents Park outer and it's (now filled in) pothole!

I've found muscles I didn't know I had too! Front of thighs, used when descending on fixed! There wasn't much call for down hilling in central London!

domtyler

Über Member
So how are guys making your living now? My parents friends are eking out a living mainly through a small picture framing business and restoring old houses. They seem to be managing quite nicely.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
Er... if I read the body language right Arch (how can I read the 'body language'? I've never even met you!) - errmmm there's not exactly much going, along those lines, amongst the wrinklies and crinklies in the expat community, and most of the French jeunes mecs make for the cities before they're out of their teens... There is an elderly (?in his 60s) Dutchman living alone in the next house beyond the one on offer, he's a sweetie but I reckon he's not your type Arch xx(:biggrin::biggrin:

*ref.470727

nah, it was more like I'm thinking "I'd like to emigrate to France, do up a house, escape the rat race etc, but I'm not the sort of person who could take on a thing like that alone, so any nice single man who expressed an interest in doing the same might find me suddenly really friendly..." It's all just daydreaming really, I'm not actually trawling the forum for some sucker to take me on...:biggrin:

Nice to see all those cheap stone barns advertised, but depressing to see them billed as suitable for holiday homes - that's not the sort of France I want to move to, full of holidaying English people...

OP
OP
Y

yello

The misses is an upholsterer. She's going to be setting up in business again eventually, over the next few years but there's no need to. Fortunately, thanks to London property prices, we were able to sell our flat and retire here.

Pete

Arch said:
...depressing to see them billed as suitable for holiday homes - that's not the sort of France I want to move to, full of holidaying English people...
That's a tough one to answer. Assuredly, our little 'niche' in the Lot region is way outside the tourist trail, you won't see coach parties with snapping cameras descending on the village or anything like that. There are plenty of Brits around, indeed the nearby town of Montaigu-de-Quercy is often cited as a British expat's haven: if you walk round the market of a Saturday you'll hear plenty of English spoken, see cars with British numberplates, and there's an English library in the town. But I'd still call it truly France with a population of British and other immigrants, that's all. We are, I regret to say, treating our purchase as a holiday home for the time being, with about four or five visits a year. Our long term plans for the place are still vague. Moving there permanently is a possible option.

Being reasonably capable in French - if not fluent - certainly helps. If so, the French locals will start talking to you. And I've encountered nothing but friendliness - if you can follow the French (sometimes it's patois which is difficult). Their own native population is haemorrhaging away, unemployment is high you see, and an influx of new residents is probably welcome to most...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sorry, it stupidly didn't occur to me that yours was a holiday home...:biggrin:

I think what I meant was, I wouldn't want to live in some British enclave, like the Costa del Sol.

My friends near Limoges have fitted in really well, getting to know the neighbours, visiting every few months (they are going to move there full time when she retires soon). When we were there last summer, the people who'd bought the house opposite (more like an investment to do up and sell on) were there, and it was interesting to see how my English friends were muttering that they hadn't come over to introduce themselves, which is what any French person would do in the circumstances. So obviously, yes, the main thing is to fit in with local custom, whatever nationality you are...

I think the thing I really noticed and liked was the general sociability. In small shops, cafes etc, people walk in and say 'Bonjour!' to all and sundry, and people say 'bonjour!' back, even if they're all strangers...

It really annoys the French when someone English rings to speaks to me and says "Is Steve there?" without so much as a hello.

At the moment I'm still learning about the wine trade, but Mme HF will be running the Chateau when her father retires, at the moment she lectures in wine part time, and sell the stuff to mainly the USA.

Top Bottom