Bonjourno from Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snarf

Hello from North Birmingham.

I started cycling in August (one of the Wiggo lot) as I have been ill for three years and in that time have put on 2 stone. Started out at 19 stone 13 lbs on 1st August and as of today I'm at 18 stone 6 lbs.

I'm currently riding a 6 yr old supermarket mountain bike and I've got myself up to doing 10 miles per day 5 days per week.

I'm looking to get a road bike in January (saving up to buy it) and to do some sportives next year also.

Just came across this forum while googling "cycling and weight loss" and after reading some of the posts thought this was a friendly place to exchange views, ideas etc.

Any other Suttonians in North Birmingham?

defy-one

Welcome :smile:

wisdom

Guru
:welcome: From Blackpool
Good luck withthe cycling its very addictive.
I have lost 2 stone since April purely down to cycling
A road bike will make a massive difference.

OP
OP
Snarf

Snarf

Thanks for all the welcomes!!

I'm looking to get a road bike and in the long term join a cycling club and do club rides and longer rides.

I went on hols to the Algarve last week and used a touring bike and did a 25 mile roundtrip one day on a fairly flat route and 2 days later did a 15 mile roundtrip where there were 3 large valleys, managed to get down and up one, had to stop half way up the 2nd and walked the 3rd uphill section as I felt my lungs and heart were going to explode and I was sweating out of places I didn't think it was possible to sweat out of.

Do people think that if I get a road bike then I'll be able to increase my mileage (my current bike is v heavy and so am I!) and therefore my weight loss will increase?

My diet is good now, it wasn't before August but I've made some large changes to portion sizes, types of food I eat and new foods that I eat which are better for me.

machew

Veteran
The lighter the bike+you is the easer it is to get up hills. Fitness will come and hills will appear to be flatter.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Getting up hills only comes from fitness, and that comes from riding a bike.
However, nothing will encourage you to get out more than a brand new shiny bike that will feel so much better than your existing steed. There are no quick fixes, it is still the same engine, but you will be amazed at your progress at the start. Look for the beginners thread in the Beginners section for examples.

Kookas

Über Member
I've been doing 15 miles minimum every week day on a cheap Halfords MTB since September. This city's your best friend if you're going the right way, and a mortal enemy if you're not. But I'm not sure a road bike would mean you'd get fitter. You're still putting out the same amount of power, it's just that a lot more of it is lost in tyres, drag and weight on an MTB. That would definitely make your 10-mile journey easier, though (one of the things I'm worried about is I'll make it too easy by buying a roadbike, but I guess if my bike actually becomes a joy to ride I'll make up for it in miles).

Top Bottom